530 Case Backhoe

/ 530 Case Backhoe #1  

DJ54

Elite Member
Tractor
IH Farmall 656 gas/ IH 240 Utility/ 2, Super C Farmalls/ 2, Farmall A's/ Farmall BN/McCormick-Deering OS-6/McCormick-Deering O-4/ '36 Farmall F-12/ 480 Case hoe. '65 Ford 2000 3 cyl., 4 spd. w/3 spd Aux. Trans
Looks like I became the proud owner of a 530 Case hoe yesterday..!! Yeah, not even close to top of the line, but will do for what I need it for, and the price was extremely reasonable...!!

I can believe the overall condition of it. The guy was meticulous on keeping it up, other than maybe the paint, but it is original paint, and not bad for a 40 year old machine..!! All pins and bushings are good and tight, all new hoses on the back in tha last 5 years. Two new tires on the back to boot.

Started right up, and purred like a kitten... Although it is a gas engine, it is more to my particular liking... Do my own repairs, and no expensive injection system repairs. Clutch feels great, not your usual grabby loader tractor clutch.., yet not like stepping on a plum either. Brakes are as should be too...

Front bucket needs just a dab of welding, but no problm there. Cutting edge is worn, but will last me a long time..!! Only has a 24" digging bucket, but is in great shape. Hardly any wear on the cutting edge between the teeth.

Anyone familiar with these old hoes, and possibly if other buckets from newer models will fit? Sure would like to find a 12" and a 30" smooth ditching bucket.

Bringing it home Wednesday... Can't wait..!!

/ 530 Case Backhoe #2  
Money and envy are the same color.............I have plenty of green..........envy that is.

Post pics.

/ 530 Case Backhoe #4  
I had an old Case, the predecessor to yours. Love that gas motor. If it won't start it's not a mystery, it's out of gas.

Joe H

/ 530 Case Backhoe
Well Joe, I may have the same model you had... After closer inspection, come to find out it is a 310B. You don't always want to believe the decals...!! Yep, I have the first model Case backhoe built, as a unit...

The boys must have laid cardboard under it, while in the shop, where I looked at it. Found out the seals were out of the Hydraulic pump, tach. drive, so replaced them. Also put new front and rear main seals in the engine, while I had it split.

Brake seals were a little weepy too, so now is the time, while they are easy to get to.

If the rain lets up here, hope to get the loader, and hoe back on tomorrow...!!

/ 530 Case Backhoe #6  
Mine was a 1957 320. No brake leaks, they were mechanical Rube Goldberg gizmos.
Pair of iron plates with egg shaped grooves & ball bearings that forced the plates apart when the pedal pulled one of them. They were mounted on stub axles out of the diff, no brakes at the wheels.
If you have oil coming out of those brakes, the axle seal is leaking.
It was on the Case calendar in 2007, 50th anniversary of their first LBH. Here's a pic of the calendar.

http://rermag.com/rerreports/supplyside/Case 50th.JPG

Case Loader/Backhoe Celebrates 50th Anniversary

Joe H

/ 530 Case Backhoe
Yep, the brake seals were bad. Got them replaced, so we're good to go.
Actually, that type of brake system was used on several manufacturer's tractors... Same style on my Super C Farmall's, and even on my IH 656, and MF 180. Although IH and Case were smart enough to put them on the bull pinion shaft, rather than inside the axle housing on the M-F. Sooo much easier to service....

/ 530 Case Backhoe #8  
very cool. I just picked up a 580CK a few weeks ago. Also one of those "Too good to pass up" deals. Still learing the in's and outs of it.

/ 530 Case Backhoe #9  
I sold my 580 C about 2 years ago and I really miss it sometimes. I bought it for $6500 and kept it for 4 years and got most all my jobs completed and then sold it for $6500. Ken Sweet