Descending hill on mini-ex

/ Descending hill on mini-ex #1  

yankeerider

Platinum Member
Tractor
Deere 755
This may be a dumb question, but I believe in "Better safe than sorry." I will be using a mini-ex on my property next week, and the only part that i am nervous about is the trip from the road down a steep hill to where I'll be working on the flats.

I probably shouldn't be concerned, because on a good day my pickup will climb the hill in 2 wheel drive. My wife and I make many trips daily up and down this hill on her Gator HPX and me in an old golf cart and on my 755. With the 755, though, if the loader is attached, I engage 4wd when descending because, even with a weight box on the back, the rear wheels will unload enough that they don't grip and I'll get a wild ride down. Using 4wd gives me front wheel "Braking."

So here's my question-
Am I correct in concluding that the proper way to descend this hill on the mini-ex is with the front blade downhill and lifted just off the ground (as opposed to fully raised) and the boom forward (downhill) and also positioned with the bucket just off the ground to serve as a "stop" if the machine should want to pitch forward?

Similarly, ascending the hill should be done with the blade and boom uphill?

/ Descending hill on mini-ex #2  
yankeerider,

You can never be too safe while operating equipment, particularly on slopes. And yes, your approach should work well. IMHO, a tracked mini ex is much more stable and less likely to loose traction that a rubber tire unit.

Couple other things you've probably already considered:

1) Always pick the straightest route with as little side slope as possible both down and up the hill.

2) Choose a day when the soil is dry (wet grass or dirt opens a whole new can of worms).

3) If the pucker factor gets high going down, let your bucket touch the ground in front of you slightly with the boom extended about halfway. You will feel much more stable with it sliding along as you go. The bucket is a far better preventative measure than the blade.

4) When going up a steep slope I put the blade to the rear in case I have to use the bucket to pull myself up (ie. pull with bucket while walking unit uphill, put blade down stopping any rearward slippage, reach uphill with bucket and repeat).

Good luck

/ Descending hill on mini-ex
Thanks. No grass to worry about, as it's a gravel road. (I spread the screenings on it using my old 9N with a rear grader blade about 20 years ago!). I walk this road twice a day to get to where our chicken coop is. Walking it tonight I'm thinking it's really not so bad, but I'm sure there will be a little pucker the first trip or two down the hill, just because of the height of the mini-ex and my need to get comfortable with it.

Thanks again.

/ Descending hill on mini-ex #4  
I've worked many steep hills with my mini. I was on a slope this week that my track loader could no make it up but the mini did. I like to keep the blade downhill and the bucket up hill...streched out. You can also use the bucket to pull yourself up if need be.

This is steeper then the picture looks. This is also an area my track loader could not climb.

0523091509-00.jpg

/ Descending hill on mini-ex #5  
I second the blade down hill and the boom up. I cross ditches the same way, the blade first and the boom all the way out in rear. As I get the front of the tracks across I swing the boom around to the front. It is almost like walking on air.

/ Descending hill on mini-ex #6  
When I unload off my trailer the blade and bucket both go towards down hill/ramp. This way if something does happen 1st I can see what/where I'm going, and 2nd I can drop the blade and or bucket to gain control. When going uphill{or onto trailer} I have the blade to the back{down hill} and the bucket EXTENDED low and facing up. Form what you're writting about you should not have an issue. What type of mini ex are you using?

/ Descending hill on mini-ex
Thanks everyone for the guidance you're providing.

The machine is a Cat 303c CR. I need to add it to the list of equipment I own in my sig file. :)