Corrugated Black Pipe

/ Corrugated Black Pipe #1  

Daughton

I'm getting ready to install brick pavers for my back patio. I just installed corrugated black pipe to take the down spouts away from the house. Do I need to be concerned with the weight of the stone, bricks, and people crushing or damaging the black pipe? Also, will the corrugated black pipe stand the test of time or do I need to worry about replacing 5-10 years down the road. Any help or suggestions would be great.

Thank you!

/ Corrugated Black Pipe #2  
What is the size of the pipe and how deep is it? My sister has some 6" corrugated pipe along the edge of her driveway as a drain. It's not very deep (6"?) and cars and people haven't hurt it in 10 years.
UV is the enemy of plastic so a buried pipe will last a long time. The same pipe with perforations is used to drain around foundation footing. I would expect a 40 year life. IMO

/ Corrugated Black Pipe #3  
Daughton,
If you use the non perforated type then as Tig says you should be fine. I would have this deep enough to have three inches of cover over it before you pack down the surface for the pavers.

I use concrete sand and a plate compactor before setting pavers which packs very well giving a good level surface to work with. I have used the 4" corrugated pipe beneath the sand with no problems.

Make sure you do not use the perforated corrugated pipe as the sand can get inside it.

/ Corrugated Black Pipe
Thank you so much! I greatly appreciate the advice

/ Corrugated Black Pipe #5  
Corrugated Black Pipe is very bad about leaves getting clogged up in the ribs of the pipe and shutting off the flow.

100_2464.jpg

I use these to prevent leaves getting into the pipe which solves the problem .

/ Corrugated Black Pipe #6  
I'll go against the grain on this one (sorry). I use scedule #40 4" PVC under all compacted areas. I may be alone on this one, but I think the extra few bucks is worth it when it comes time to compact rock on top of pipe. I've dug up a lot of black flex and find it crushed down & usually clogged after years of service. Smooth pipe is also easier to unclog should it ever happen. Picture is not very good, but here's a #40 pipe going under a walkway of a house we're rebuilding for sale.

Attachments

• DSCN2328.jpg
    DSCN2328.jpg
    814.7 KB · Views: 344
   / Corrugated Black Pipe #7  
I'll go against the grain on this one (sorry). I use scedule #40 4" PVC under all compacted areas. I may be alone on this one, but I think the extra few bucks is worth it when it comes time to compact rock on top of pipe. I've dug up a lot of black flex and find it crushed down & usually clogged after years of service. Smooth pipe is also easier to unclog should it ever happen. Picture is not very good, but here's a #40 pipe going under a walkway of a house we're rebuilding for sale.
I agree, do it once.

/ Corrugated Black Pipe #8  
I'm getting ready to install brick pavers for my back patio. I just installed corrugated black pipe to take the down spouts away from the house. Do I need to be concerned with the weight of the stone, bricks, and people crushing or damaging the black pipe? Also, will the corrugated black pipe stand the test of time or do I need to worry about replacing 5-10 years down the road. Any help or suggestions would be great.

Thank you!
Spend the little extra for Sch. 40 4", fittings, primer and glue(depending on your application you may be able to eliminate the primer and glue)...substantially stronger and will last indefinately...if you do end up using corrogated and can only find the perforated type, there is a "silt sock" available to install over the pipe to keep everything out.

/ Corrugated Black Pipe #9  

I agree, do it once.

I used schedule 35 SDR pipe from Lowe's, it's cheaper than #40 plumbing pipe and the fittings are cheaper also. It's the pale green color pipe they sell, you can also get it in 13' sections with gasket-ed collars so no glue is necessary when joining length's of pipe.

They also sell the even thinner #20 pipe that uses the same fittings as the #35 SDR pipe. Still better than the black corrugated junk.