Tractor
    Ford/New Holland 1520

Default Gehl 4500 skidsteer/loader

I recently purchased a well used 1979 Gehl 4500 from a local dairy farm. It has a 40 h.p. Ford gas engine that is 1.6 litre. I was told by the original owner's son that this is the same engine that is used in the Fiesta. The engine is labeled on the valve cover as E7121/50 YC and below that is 2274 E I know that in Fords cars the first letter is the decade of production and following number is production year; hence an "C7" would be a 1967, a "D7" would be 1977and etc. What I'm wanting to know is if this would be a 1987 (E7) engine? This skidsteer had sat for the past several years because most of the guys preferred one of the newer machines they have and couldn't get used to the "T" handle steering. It smokes a little and I can see a rebuild in the future if valve guide seals don't do the trick; my next step will be rings and an overhaul. I've ordered one book on this Gehl but it didn't tell me anything about the engine or fluid capacities. There was a lot of great information on the hydraulic cylinders and the other engines as well as many of the factory parts numbers. Does anyone have an idea of where I can get a manual on the oil capacities and what year engine it is? Most of my "google" searches have led me back to this site. My main uses for will be for some filling of low spots at my place or bringing in firewood from the back of my property. My little Ford 1520 compact diesel won't drag the larger stuff out and I can just cut it there and load it up. Keeps some of the mess out of the backyard that way.

Tractor
    Ford/New Holland 1520

Default Re: Gehl 4500 skidsteer/loader

A reply isn't needed as I finally found a source for the manual. It's on order even though it's backordered. I should get it in a couple of weeks.

Tractor
    Power-Trac 1445, KUBOTA B-9200HST

Jim,

I need a manual for my Ford engine.

I have a similar engine in my Power-Trac, they rate it as 45 HP, and it is a Ford 4 cyl industrial engine. What so you need to order an engine manual, and can you post a link.

I believe the engine is from the early 90's.
    J.J.

When I works, I works hard. When I sits and thinks, I goes to sleep.

Git er done.

Tractor
    Ford/New Holland 1520

I do have a service parts manual for these models KSG-411 and KSG-416. These are the 4-cylinder industrial engines you mention. I'll try to post a link in the next few days or send you a copy of the book if you like. I'm computer ignorant at times. Jim
    Last edited by Jim 1944; 06-22-2010 at 10:32 PM. Reason: duplicated info

Tractor
    1979 Gehl 4500 skidloader

I just purchased a Gehl 4500 skidloader and need an owners manual. I read how you were able to order one & was hoping you could pass along where you were able to get one. Thanks for your time, I realize this post is a couple years old.

Tractor
    1980 gehl 4500

this engine is the same as a 70's pinto.