New here... Cat 416B

/ New here... Cat 416B #1  

futuresweets10

Silver Member
Hello everyone, I am new here and new to the heavy equipment world. I have operated pretty much everything out there, but never owned anything. Last week I came into a cat 416b (backhoe) for a **** of a deal. The machine has low hours and runs strong, however, the hydraulic pump is gone. I have been doing my research and figured Id go with an aftermarket pump, but its going to be a few weeks before I get the pump.

I plan on digging a pond with it once I get everything in working order, but out of every type of equipment out there I think a back hoe is about the only thing I have NO time on. I know my way around a track machine well enough to dig a big hole in the ground, but I am kinda unsure on the back hoe. I know I will need to dig until I have piles on both sides of me and then use the bucket to move the dirt out of the way, but with out the entire machine being able to turn wouldn't it make the job pretty difficult? I know alot of guys who have done ponds with backhoes, but have never seen it done..... Am I an idiot for thinking about digging a (slightly under 1/4acre) pond with a backhoe?

/ New here... Cat 416B #2  
Am I an idiot for thinking about digging a (slightly under 1/4acre) pond with a backhoe?

Yep...... A D11N would be a better choice:D Welcome aboard:thumbsup:

/ New here... Cat 416B
Am I an idiot for thinking about digging a (slightly under 1/4acre) pond with a backhoe?

Yep...... A D11N would be a better choice:D Welcome aboard:thumbsup:

Yeah, I would think that would be a better choice.... but I dont have one of those nor do I have the funding to secure one of those....:laughing:. Ive been looking at some sites online concerning digging a pond with a back hoe and it looks like its going to be fun.... Seems like the kinda job that would take too long to make money doing it for someone else, but would be a fun project around the house....

If this guy can do what he did with that worn out POS, then I think I will be ok...Pond Digging

/ New here... Cat 416B #4  
by hydraulic pump gone do you mean missing like taken for parts to repair another machine, or just worn out/not working? if its just not putting out pressure dont forget to check the simple stuff like suction filter and relief valve, could be a plugged filter starving pump for oil or a broken relief valve spring. if the pump did infact fail you now will have metal shavings all thru the system, a resivoir flush and new filters are needed, as well as when first started take the line off one side of each cylinder and operate it to push out the old fluid into a pail. theres alot to do more than just bolt on a new pump. also did ya check its not just a broken drive coupling or stripped splines on the pump?

/ New here... Cat 416B #5  
Hello everyone, I am new here and new to the heavy equipment world. I have operated pretty much everything out there, but never owned anything. Last week I came into a cat 416b (backhoe) for a **** of a deal. The machine has low hours and runs strong, however, the hydraulic pump is gone. I have been doing my research and figured Id go with an aftermarket pump, but its going to be a few weeks before I get the pump.

I plan on digging a pond with it once I get everything in working order, but out of every type of equipment out there I think a back hoe is about the only thing I have NO time on. I know my way around a track machine well enough to dig a big hole in the ground, but I am kinda unsure on the back hoe. I know I will need to dig until I have piles on both sides of me and then use the bucket to move the dirt out of the way, but with out the entire machine being able to turn wouldn't it make the job pretty difficult? I know alot of guys who have done ponds with backhoes, but have never seen it done..... Am I an idiot for thinking about digging a (slightly under 1/4acre) pond with a backhoe?
Use the front end of the machine for gross removal, then use the backhoe for the touch-ups/final. What's the average depth you're looking at? Are you going to stock it? What about your outfall? Are you planning to walk in the slopes or ?

The 416 series is a pretty short and powerful wheelbase unit. They will dig in to their own tracks in a hurry.

/ New here... Cat 416B
by hydraulic pump gone do you mean missing like taken for parts to repair another machine, or just worn out/not working? if its just not putting out pressure dont forget to check the simple stuff like suction filter and relief valve, could be a plugged filter starving pump for oil or a broken relief valve spring. if the pump did infact fail you now will have metal shavings all thru the system, a resivoir flush and new filters are needed, as well as when first started take the line off one side of each cylinder and operate it to push out the old fluid into a pail. theres alot to do more than just bolt on a new pump. also did ya check its not just a broken drive coupling or stripped splines on the pump?

The pump was bad, and rebuilt by the previous owner. After rebuilding it went out again due to a part missing from the rebuild. The pump was then taken off and lost. As of now I have a machine sitting in the yard with no pump on it. Once I get a new pump I will have to bleed everything on the unit?

/ New here... Cat 416B #7  
I've never replaced a pump on a backhoe but I wouldn't think you would need to bleed anything except possibly brakes if they use the same pump supply. The main thing is make sure the system is clean if the previous failures put metal downstream. Also you want to get some oil into the pump and suction line too if possible so you don't have a dry start.

Kim

/ New here... Cat 416B #8  
bleed....well sorta, bleed out as much of the old oil thats in the cylinders and contaminated with metal, but bleed as in air like brake lines, nope thats not an issue usualy. just get it as clean as ya can or you will be buying another pump soon too!

/ New here... Cat 416B
Im stoked right now!!!! I found a pump on e-bay that has been listed for $2k since January or Feb. It appears to be one of those sellers that just sells random stuff for other people and by the part number I could tell it was an aftermarket pump. The ITR (aftermarket) pump retails for 1500 and I can get it for 1100. I let him know that the pump was aftermarket and being aftermarket and used wasnt worth what it was listed for. Offered him 475 and he took it. I dont think I could have gotten any better of a deal on this thing any other way. Any opinions?
MERLIN GERIN ITR 100-3259 PUMP G FOR CATERPILLAR 1EA - eBay (item 300396590917 end time Jun-13-10 16:31:21 PDT)

/ New here... Cat 416B #10  
futuresweets10,

Make darn sure you do your housekeeping before you install that pump (i.e. clean out tank, rag clean if possibe, check for and clean out suction strainer, new hyd oil & filters), and most important.....fill case port on side of pump...not doing so will trash this replacement piston pump very quickly!!!!!

Piston Pumps need cleaner oil than most systems so beware!!!!

If you can't find the case port, ask somebody.....very important!!!:thumbsup: