Need to build a 25' tractor bridge across creek

/ Need to build a 25' tractor bridge across creek #21  
I ran some of the #'s through beam boy using the proposed 25' spam with 2 w12 x 30 I-beams. There are still some unknown variables but assuming the decking boards you propose weigh in @ ~120 lbs each, that will give a distributed load of 60lbs per foot per beam. @ a 25' span using L/360 deflection limits (25' would allow you to flex .8" and still be safe) the max point load on the beam right in the middle is 10,000lbs per beam. Assuming the footers are solid. So it should work for you.

But be careful about the span. Just by going from 25 to 30 feet reduces the capacity to only 6000lbs per beam. So double check all your measurements. It may be worth the time to download beamboy and play with the numbers yourself. It is a very simple program to run.

/ Need to build a 25' tractor bridge across creek #22  
deanfitz, Here's some pics of my covered bridge. 24' span w/ 4-14" beams. I got the beams spec'd by the engineer at a steel fab company I used to subcontract erection jobs for. asked for 10K lb live load. They spec'd 12" but had used 14" at 1/2 the price of new 12". Cross with DK45S & Silverado 2500 HD without noticable deflection, tremor, etc. Planked with 10' x 2x8" rough hemlock. Four 5/16" carridge bolts per plank/ one per beam. Wanted to close the sides in to waist level but sometimes get up to 12" water over the deck in high water, don't want it swept away. Pair of beams on each side tied togeather at 12" OC with three 8" beam daphrams & 3 more between center beams about 48" long. Covered the bridge to extend deck life & cause it's kind of neat. The lengthwise pieces are just 1x3 strapping to keep snowmobile track picks & carbide runners from sawing the planks in half. MikeD74T

Attachments

• bridge side.JPG
    bridge side.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 1,522
  • bridge under north.JPG
    bridge under north.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 1,377
  • bridge under south.JPG
    bridge under south.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 1,276
  • bridge front.JPG
    bridge front.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 997
   / Need to build a 25' tractor bridge across creek
Thanks so much LD1 for this info. This is exactly why I joined this forum, several minds are better than one. (especially when the one isn't that bright. ha) I think I will be OK, expecting max load of 5k lbs. But always good to build for the future. You never know. This bridge is back in the woods on private property and I'm the only traffic. Mostly ridden with ATV's. I just want to be able to bring my tractor back there and work my deer plots and up keep the road.
Thx again, Dean

Thats a awesome bridge Mike, mine will not be covered, should lighten the load some. Looks like the span is similar in size.

Those flatcars would work perfect. Little out my budget though.

Couldn't get Beamboy 2.2 to run with Vista

/ Need to build a 25' tractor bridge across creek #28  
For our snowmobile club we started using old flat bed trailers! We have been lucky enough to have had some donated that just needed new decks but other wise we can find them in the 1,000 dollar or less range.

We haul them in with the trucks and then slinge them across with a excavator after the wheels have been removed.

They have everything right for the load and work well, we do use the side rails for extensions to get them out to twelve foot before the new decks are laid down, or they could be used for sides.

/ Need to build a 25' tractor bridge across creek #29  
Couldn't get Beamboy 2.2 to run with Vista

Before installing, save the install software on your pc. right click on that software, go to properties, go to compatiblity tab and put check in box forrun this program as and use default setting XP. It should work 9 times out of 10.

/ Need to build a 25' tractor bridge across creek #30  
I run mine on vista. I did have some trouble and I don't rembemer what I did to run it. I think i completely removed it and re-downloaded it.

It is a confusing file. It is a zip file and has a lot of folder/documents. It took a while but I finally figured out the right one that installed it. It's been 6 months or so, so i really can remember. All I remember that it was a PITA. If you know someone who is good with PC's maybe they can help you, because it is a really cool program.