Tractor
    New Holland 545D

Default 545d is slow to rev up!

I have a 2001 new holland 545d with turbo, that is very slow to rev up, it idles fine, and starts fine, but when the throttle is applied it takes about 15-20 seconds to reach 1100 rpms and will not exceed that, and i am not sure but i think it should reach 2600 rpms in about 3 seconds, I put a new fuel filter on but I am not sure that it was the right one, it was actually bought for a bulldozer but it fit so I tried it, and it did seem to help a little, but there is still a problem, any help would be appreciated. thanks

Tractor
    Case 885, Ford 4000

Default Re: 545d is slow to rev up!

Is there a steady flow of fuel available at the injection pump? There is a screen incorporated into the fuel shutoff valve in the tank bottom. If you have good flow to the pump, a later 545D should have an electric fuel shutoff solenoid in the injection pump. Remove it and check its operation.
    We have too much gun control.
    What we need is more idiot control.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Zetor 3011, Zetor 5718

could be a broken governor spring. When i tried to tweak my tractor, for some extra horses i required, i had the wrong screw and totally slackened the rpm governor. it didnt get more than 1000rpm with a full throttle. If that spring is broken it will cause the same effect. I would personally open it and do it myself, as long as its not any deeper in the governor, or the injector body itself.
    Free scrap is a good investment !!!
    “The worst enemy of life, freedom and the common decencies is total anarchy; their second worst enemy is total efficiency” · Aldous Huxley
    1998 Volvo S70 2.5 TDI
    2007 Volvo 440 1.9 TD based dirt buggy

Tractor
    Yuchai Bulldozer

Aneroid passing by, compesator spring in governor (no DIY there), air filter, exhaust recirc. solenoid stuck open (if equipped). What does your exhaust look like? Also, there is a PRV on the injection pump fuel cavity - if this is stuck open (debris) you will have very low fuel pressure - and performance.

Has anyone seen the video of the runaway diesel engine that just had the governor worked on?
    Last edited by Bob Rooks; 07-29-2010 at 04:25 PM.
    Yuchai 306R dozer, Mustang 2040 skid steer, Mitsubishi MS035 Mini-Ex with four buckets and a rake, Trimble equipped 7' Dual Dozer with twin GCR-2 laser receivers, and a LiTW BH7600 back hoe (sold).