545d is slow to rev up!

/ 545d is slow to rev up! #1  

buckles

Tractor
New Holland 545D
I have a 2001 new holland 545d with turbo, that is very slow to rev up, it idles fine, and starts fine, but when the throttle is applied it takes about 15-20 seconds to reach 1100 rpms and will not exceed that, and i am not sure but i think it should reach 2600 rpms in about 3 seconds, I put a new fuel filter on but I am not sure that it was the right one, it was actually bought for a bulldozer but it fit so I tried it, and it did seem to help a little, but there is still a problem, any help would be appreciated. thanks

/ 545d is slow to rev up! #2  
Is there a steady flow of fuel available at the injection pump? There is a screen incorporated into the fuel shutoff valve in the tank bottom. If you have good flow to the pump, a later 545D should have an electric fuel shutoff solenoid in the injection pump. Remove it and check its operation.

/ 545d is slow to rev up! #3  
could be a broken governor spring. When i tried to tweak my tractor, for some extra horses i required, i had the wrong screw and totally slackened the rpm governor. it didnt get more than 1000rpm with a full throttle. If that spring is broken it will cause the same effect. I would personally open it and do it myself, as long as its not any deeper in the governor, or the injector body itself.

/ 545d is slow to rev up! #4  
Aneroid passing by, compesator spring in governor (no DIY there), air filter, exhaust recirc. solenoid stuck open (if equipped). What does your exhaust look like? Also, there is a PRV on the injection pump fuel cavity - if this is stuck open (debris) you will have very low fuel pressure - and performance.

Has anyone seen the video of the runaway diesel engine that just had the governor worked on?

Last edited: