Need a swamp excavator?

/ Need a swamp excavator? #1  

scoutcub

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar LX4900//Cub 7532//Cub Yanmar SC2400//Komatsu D38//Cub Volunteer//Cub SZ60/CAT 289C/CAT 308
I work overseas in the oil industry, this is used for digging pipelines in the swamps.....hundreds of these around here. Thought I'd snap and share!

Attachments

• nigeria 151.jpg
    nigeria 151.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 2,080
   / Need a swamp excavator? #2  
Would the boom be extended?

I'd sure could that beast for couple days.

/ Need a swamp excavator? #3  
Neat! Are the track "frames" also floats?

/ Need a swamp excavator? #4  
It would take more "float" than that to float that much weight.

Mike

/ Need a swamp excavator?
I agree, they might look big enough to float but MJ is right, way too much weight for that size displacement. They strap them to barges to do deepwater work.
And yes, they are all "longbooms" to reach out beyond the widetracks...

/ Need a swamp excavator? #6  
Actually, it does float.

/ Need a swamp excavator? #7  
What about one of these? Definitely doesn't float..

Underwater excavator

The construction of a 1200 km long gas pipeline is underway at a depth of up to 1000 metres on the ocean bed between Norway and the United Kingdom. A ship measuring more than 350 m in length and housing a pipe-laying system is being used at surface level. Two custom-designed excavators work at depths of up to 1000 metres to make ready and level out the ocean bed. Important components such as the boom and undercarriage have been designed using the know-how and technology of Switzerland's own Menzi Muck. Designed in St. Gallen (Rheintal) and featuring corrosion-resistant materials such as titanium and aluminium, these have proved vital to the implementation of the project.

Attachments

• excavator.jpg
    excavator.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 841
   / Need a swamp excavator? #10  
I drive across Mobile Bay everyday. And on the delta they use tracks like that with mowers on the front and a roll cage on top.