JCB 3CX Backhoe

/ JCB 3CX Backhoe #1  

LiL Angel

Tractor
JCB 3CX Backhoe
Ok so i've recently bought a JCB 3CX Backhoe... a 1999 make however it just doesn't have the kind of power that it supposed too in fact the operator says that it moves "lazy"... What can be the cause of this and further more what can i do about this???... Please help!!! :confused2:

/ JCB 3CX Backhoe #2  
Are you talking about power to the wheels?
Will it not spin its wheels in 1st gear at maximum revs?

I had a 3CX - early 80s I think - which was very lethargic, had it checked by a local mechanic who enlisted the advice of a neighbouring backhoe operator.

Their advice was that 3CX's of that era are always that way, something to do with the stall ratio of the torque convertor.

/ JCB 3CX Backhoe #3  
I've heard of the torque converter issues. But if the operator is complaining about "lazy" then I believe you're looking at a hydraulic oil flow problem. I would check out the oil and then change out the filter(s).

/ JCB 3CX Backhoe #4  
My experience too on a 3CX. cant remember which year, but it wouldnt take off in road gear at all.

/ JCB 3CX Backhoe #5  
My experience too on a 3CX. cant remember which year, but it wouldnt take off in road gear at all.

Our 1983 JD 310B is that way. I think this is in part to design and heavy weight. The really job of a BH engine is to run a high pressure/flow hydralic pump period.

It is hard to take of in top gear with the 265 MF with 1200 hours.

It is hard to take of in top gear in the MH, F700, Blazer. :D

/ JCB 3CX Backhoe #6  
Our 1983 JD 310B is that way. I think this is in part to design and heavy weight. The really job of a BH engine is to run a high pressure/flow hydralic pump period.

Its about the stall ratio and absorbed power of the converter. Even in top gear, it should be able to somehow get going. The wheel loaders we build at work will spin all 4 tires on bone dry concrete in 1st gear, even with 3 ton of concrete in the bucket. On dirt it can still spin out in 2nd. Thanks to proper gearing, some grunt and a stall ratio of at least 2.5
Very popular on the silage pit ;)

/ JCB 3CX Backhoe #7  
I've never found any JCB's to be that different to any other machine and probably a bit more liveley than a case from the 80's . A newer JCB like a 99 would normally be quite a liveley machine . I don't really think not being able to take off in top gear is much of a guide as it's not something that you'd do anyway .