Help with my JD755 crawler loader

/ Help with my JD755 crawler loader #1  

xXThunderGodXx

Tractor
John deere jd755
we have a jd755 crawler loader that wont crank. we were running it one day and the next day it wouldn't crank. the starter engaged and bumped the motor a tiny bit (just enough to make the fan jump) so we yanked the starter and had it rebuilt. got it back in and same story. So we dropped it for a while and asked around and a fellow we know said it may be the hydrostatic system may be causing the motor to be stuck. the only reason im buying this is one-I'm trying to be optimistic and two- if the motor was seized i wouldn't think it would even budge let alone make the fan belts move. and it doesnt help that im not too familiar with hydrostatic drive systems. i spent most of yesterday crawling all over and under the machine poking and prodding and found a rod sticking out from between the splitter box and the bellhousing and i am assuming this is disengaging the splitter from the flywheel but couldn't get it to budge. we acquired this machine for a fairly low price because the fellow who owned it before bought it for a single job and had no other use for it. I am not even sure what year it is and have the serial number 2592521. Aside from the tracks getting close to the point of just scrapping them the only problems we could find were just a multitude of small leaks in the hydro systems (both drive and boom) the motor is pretty tight with only minor leaks and some minor leaking on two of the injector lines at the pump. we were gonna fix all these problems once we figured out what the problem is with trying to get it started. it was used in our quarry for clearing castoff and rubble for maybe 20 hours making sure all fluid levels were maintained throughout. we wanted to see if the thing had the guts for the job before we put the work into buttoning up the system.
what im really getting at is, is there someway to disengage the drive system aside from unbolting the two prop shafts from the splitter box so we can see if it is a motor or drive problem im not afraid of rebuilding the motor if it is the problem but i find the possibility of having to work on the hydro-drive daunting especially if it requires work to either of the drive units.ANY info would be helpful, Thanks.

/ Help with my JD755 crawler loader #2  
got a big enough something to pull start it?

does sound like its stuck "in gear"

/ Help with my JD755 crawler loader
i wouldnt think that would work with a hydrostatic drive system would it?

/ Help with my JD755 crawler loader #4  
Those are also the symptoms of a dead battery - and a generator or alternator that is not charging...

/ Help with my JD755 crawler loader #5  
Yup. Sounds like a dead battery or bad cable connections to me.
Hope you have covered that first (before ripping off the starter).

Do you have a tech manual?

/ Help with my JD755 crawler loader
nope and nope, been through all that. new batts new 0ga. lines clean grounds full amperage at the starter. we had disengaged the clutch and tried and no go. figured out that either the motor is seized or its water/fuel in one of the cylinders. gonna yank the injectors and try and bump her over if no go gonna drop the pan and have a look.

/ Help with my JD755 crawler loader #7  
Did you check for a dead-headed hydraulic pump? But it sounds like you're on the right track...

/ Help with my JD755 crawler loader #8  
try the guys at jdcrawlers.com for some suggestions. Pretty helpful bunch.

/ Help with my JD755 crawler loader #10  
Sounds more like water has seeped into a cylinder and created a hydraulic lock . The fan may have moved a little as the water was compressed . Do not force it until you find out if it is this as the conrod will be bent .

First thing to do is to pull out the injectors or glow plugs if it has them and see if it will wind over . Stand well clear as water will jet at huge pressure .

On Edit , if it is water , you must find out if it is rain water that may have got in via an uncapped exhaust or if it is coolant before you pull the head off .

Last edited: