mini crawler dumpers

/ mini crawler dumpers #1  

debushau

Bronze Member
Tractor
JD4720, ASV Scout, XUV 550
I was looking into getting a small (2 ton) crawler/dumper and wondered if anyone has any experience with the various models. As far as I can see, the most popular out there in this size category are the ASV Scout, Yanmar C30r and Morooka MST300 (and its various clones from IHI, Canycom and others).

The Scout has a much faster travel speed than the others and a more sophisticated track/undercarriage but a lower payload despite higher HP. I took a look at one and thought it was okay but the control system with the steering wheel is odd and I doubt it'll last as long as the others. There are hardly any small Morooka's out there but a slightly larger one I looked at was ancient, slow and crude. It was built like a tank though. Haven't found a recentish Yanmar to take a look at but they seem to be comparatively underpowered and has the excavator style undercarriage.

If anyone out there has first hand experience, maybe they could share their experience.

/ mini crawler dumpers
I thought I would follow up with my impressions as I was able to locate a few machines to look at. I ended up getting a Scout as there were a few more available and its possible to find newer machines for reasonable money. The Japanese machines are either beat up, grey market machines or brand new (and sold out). Apparently, the 2/3 ton machines are popular with the drilling crowd and no dealers seemed to have any (Morooka, IHI or Canycom).

Mechanically, the Scout is an ASV PT-50 with a longer track and a different chassis. The engine, motors, hydraulics, tanks, etc., are all the same as the PT-50, so parts are easy to find. The steering system is weird. It uses a steering wheel and treadle pedals like a tractor/UTV with an HST transmission but the wheel can only be turned about half a turn to get full steering effect. This means you do donuts really easily and directions changes are abrupt. Sure, you get used to it but it takes a delicate touch. Pilot controls would have been better. The machine is low to the ground but it has a long, flat belly pan so you can slide over most things. The front approach angle isn't great as the operator sits out over the front idler great for spotting where to place the tracks but you can stick the nose into the dirt when coming off a hill. The tracks are also rather low and the drive motors are really close to the ground. While the motors are protected, I would be concerned about their vulnerability in the long run.

The Scout is very stable as the fuel tank and reservoir are mounted low down between the frame rails. The operator also sits low in the chassis. Its way more comfortable than the Japanese machines and is much faster. Although its an option, most machines have standard flat faced skidsteer connectors at the front and just behind the cab. This isn't a factory option on the Japanese machines. I went for an open machine with the ROPS very comfortable for two. The cab version is a bit home made and claustrophobic and noisy as ****. A Toolcat is a Rolls Royce compared to a Scout cab! Overall, the Scout is a much more flexible machine than the Japanese crawlers and can be used for lots of different functions.

I only got to test drive a Yanmar and a Morooka so my impressions are more limited. The Yanmar C-30RUS is a little longer and narrower than a Scout. The neat thing about it is the reversible operator station spin the seat around instead of turning. You sit up high and bounce around! The dump bed is also larger and better mounted (in the sense that it's integrated rather than an add-on). It's heavier built than a Scout, with metal everywhere (the Scout has a plastic front fascia). It has a lot less horsepower than a Scout so its slow as a wet Wednesday. It has a rigid undercarriage so its a bone rattler also. I don稚 think you can get these with a cab, the canopy is a lot lighter than the one on a Scout. The Yanmar is really a one function machine it carries and dumps - and if used solely for that purpose, would probably outperform a Scout. It's a bit of a hair shirt to use though.

The Mooroka I saw was older, crude and sort of junky. It only had single speed drive motors and used the old � handle controls. It was cramped and uncomfortable and strangely difficult to see around. As far as build, it seemed to be the most solid of the three. I didn稚 really like it that much though and they are hard to find parts for. The newer models are more like the Yanmar but with a bit more horsepower. Mooroka is the gold standard so I'm sure a newer machine would have left a different impression. The IHI's and Canycom's are pretty much copies of the Morooka as far as I can see.

/ mini crawler dumpers #3  
Well, where are the pictures?

/ mini crawler dumpers
I'll post some photos. I have it stripped down at the moment though as I plan to modify it somewhat.

/ mini crawler dumpers
Here are some Scout photos. The cladding and ROPS has been removed temporarily but you can see what's underneath. This is an ST-50. I believe the "ST" has a different radiator and undercarriage to the SC-50. Probably parallels the differences between the RC and PT series of CTL's.

Attachments

• photo (3).JPG
    photo (3).JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 651
  • photo (6).JPG
    photo (6).JPG
    89.2 KB · Views: 318
  • photo (5).JPG
    photo (5).JPG
    106.3 KB · Views: 460
  • photo (4).JPG
    photo (4).JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 393
   / mini crawler dumpers #6  
That looks like fun... wife would kill me bring that "tool" home :laughing: Looking forward to the progress...

/ mini crawler dumpers #7  
We ran a asv scout for about 250 hours hauling rock on horse trails in Illinois this summer, it will not hold up under heavy use, couldnt keep rollers on it,steering gave trouble, it finally laid down on us, we ran 3 marookas and they held up good, I would prefer them well over any other thing we used, also had an older yanmar, transmission went out on it

/ mini crawler dumpers #8  
We ran a asv scout for about 250 hours hauling rock on horse trails in Illinois this summer, it will not hold up under heavy use, couldnt keep rollers on it,steering gave trouble, it finally laid down on us, we ran 3 marookas and they held up good, I would prefer them well over any other thing we used, also had an older yanmar, transmission went out on it

I'd like to hear more about the job, location and machines. Was this a contract or for personal trails? I assume the machines were leased? ( Man, I'm starting to sound nosey :laughing: )

You don't see many of these crawlers here in S. Illinois. I'm not surprised to hear that the marookas did the job for you though. I have been around a couple of their larger machines and what they may lack in creature comforts they appear to make up for in pure industrial quality. I would certainly expect one to give thousands of hours of maximum work duty before requiring any major repair. Long runs, heavy loads and diverse terrain are going to test these machines but lets face it, that's exactly what they are designed for. It's also one thing for a used older machine to have problems, it's another for a new machine that never works right.

Kay's Supply, a TBN member and local plumbing contractor owns an immaculate small Yanmar crawler and has joked about it's slow ground speed. We looked at an identical one two years ago and while it was indeed slow and seemed surely under powered, the seller drove it fully loaded up a steep hill at "full speed"... so I guess it really doesn't need any more power than it had. I don't know much about crawlers since they just aren't popular around here but I see a few for sale once in a while. I've not been around any of Yanmar's bigger crawlers but they look like they are comparable to the Marookas in quality but I don't think Yanmar makes machines as large as Marooka does. On thing I have noticed on the equipment auction sites though....I have seen a lot of 3-4000hr Yanmars that look beat to death, I mean rough. For some reason, I don't see many Marookas that look like they've been to he!! and back--beat to smithereens.....why is that?

/ mini crawler dumpers #9