what to look for in a high our machine?

/ what to look for in a high our machine? #11  
I just found a ford 555D backhoe, full cab, standard hoe, 2wd with 4,300 hours, I am going to look at it this week anything major to look for, does ford make a good machine? easy to get parts for? I like the looks of it and the price and just wondering if it would be a good backhoe to go with or if I should try to stay with the "big" brands like case or deere?

In a previous career I was responsible for a fleet of equipment which included Ford and New Holland backhoes. This was as a superintendent/ engineer for a municipal water district where the operators of the equipment were good, but usually felt like it was one of the mechanics' job to do the preventative maintenance like greasing, etc. So needless to say those machines got a good workout. They were used every week day and on nights and weekends in emergency water main break situations. They usually would have 7,000 or 8,000 hours on them before they would be relegated to backup duty, and the main line machines would see almost 2,000 hours per year under the conditions that I described. Anyway, to cut to the chase the Ford 555's in general and the 555D's in particular were nearly bulletproof. They lacked the road speed and the hydraulic speed of the newer New Holland backhoes but they really took a licking and kept on ticking. The first New Holland 555E that we had was a more shall we say, sophisticated machine than the Fords but it needed more work. From the purchase of the first NH LB75.B though the New Hollands have approached the Ford level reliability (not quite matched it yet) but with much better manners. I still keep in touch with friends at this old job and most of the old Fords are still plugging along in backup roles and they are enjoying the New Hollands too. Anyway, perhaps the best endorsement that I can give the old Ford 555D's that we had is the fact that I am trying to buy one. The city is auctioning off some of its old equipment and at least one of the 555D's is on the auction block this year. If I can buy it at a decent price, I will buy it.

/ what to look for in a high our machine?
In a previous career I was responsible for a fleet of equipment which included Ford and New Holland backhoes. This was as a superintendent/ engineer for a municipal water district where the operators of the equipment were good, but usually felt like it was one of the mechanics' job to do the preventative maintenance like greasing, etc. So needless to say those machines got a good workout. They were used every week day and on nights and weekends in emergency water main break situations. They usually would have 7,000 or 8,000 hours on them before they would be relegated to backup duty, and the main line machines would see almost 2,000 hours per year under the conditions that I described. Anyway, to cut to the chase the Ford 555's in general and the 555D's in particular were nearly bulletproof. They lacked the road speed and the hydraulic speed of the newer New Holland backhoes but they really took a licking and kept on ticking. The first New Holland 555E that we had was a more shall we say, sophisticated machine than the Fords but it needed more work. From the purchase of the first NH LB75.B though the New Hollands have approached the Ford level reliability (not quite matched it yet) but with much better manners. I still keep in touch with friends at this old job and most of the old Fords are still plugging along in backup roles and they are enjoying the New Hollands too. Anyway, perhaps the best endorsement that I can give the old Ford 555D's that we had is the fact that I am trying to buy one. The city is auctioning off some of its old equipment and at least one of the 555D's is on the auction block this year. If I can buy it at a decent price, I will buy it.

thank you very much for the information, the machine that I am looking at looks to be in very good condition from the pictures and if I still think so after looking at it, I will seriously consider buying it :thumbsup:

/ what to look for in a high our machine? #13  
thank you very much for the information, the machine that I am looking at looks to be in very good condition from the pictures and if I still think so after looking at it, I will seriously consider buying it :thumbsup:

Any updates? Did you end up buying the 555D?

/ what to look for in a high our machine? #14  
Whatever you do don't believe what the hour meter says. I went to a local auction to look at a John Deere 310C that had 5500 hours. I didn't buy it, but was looking at heavy equipment websites and there was the same 310C now with 3000 hrs on the meter. I still had the VIN number in my book. SO be careful and believe half of what you are told.

Any updates? Did you end up buying the 555D?

No, but I did go look at it and liked the machine, it was in good condition for its age but the problem is that its only 2 wheel drive, and that is not a huge deal to me but I do have to re-sell it and after talking to the salesman he said that he sold near 100 4X4 machines to every 2-2 wheel drive backhoes and usually they would go down south where there isn't much snow. so for now I am looking into 4X4 machines, I have found a real nice cat 416c-IT with 4 in one bucket and extendahoe but I just need to build my finances a little longer before I would be able to buy it.

/ what to look for in a high our machine? #16  
No, but I did go look at it and liked the machine, it was in good condition for its age but the problem is that its only 2 wheel drive, and that is not a huge deal to me but I do have to re-sell it and after talking to the salesman he said that he sold near 100 4X4 machines to every 2-2 wheel drive backhoes and usually they would go down south where there isn't much snow. so for now I am looking into 4X4 machines, I have found a real nice cat 416c-IT with 4 in one bucket and extendahoe but I just need to build my finances a little longer before I would be able to buy it.

That sounds reasonable. I know one of our local excavation contractors won't buy anything but CAT backhoes now that Ford doesn't make a backhoe anymore. It's not so much that he doesn't like NH, but he was always a big Ford man. He figured since his excavators are all CAT's he may as well buy CAT backhoes too if he can't buy a Ford. Good luck in your search either way.

Does anyone have anything to say about the older JCB line? particularly a JCB 1550B with 4X4 and extenda-hoe. I am interested in one mainly because of the price and amount of hours, and I am wondering if it is a good sturdy machine with no major problems?