DeWalt 36V Tools

/ DeWalt 36V Tools #1  

TGF

Gold Member
Tractor
3038E
I figure this is as good a place as any. I have owned a set of DeWalt cordless 36V tools for about 3 years now, I got them when they first came out. They were without a doubt the best tools I ever owned until a few weekends ago. I was building some pyramid ramps for my truck to replace my old steel ramps and when I cutting the 2x12 treated lumber I was only getting about 3-4 cuts per charge. I used to get well over 20. Also when I put the battery on the charger it shows it is over half full and it takes less than 15 minutes to top it off. The battery charger shows the battery is good and the charger is good. I called the DeWalt service center and they said at 3 years old my batteries are probably shot but I asked why the charger wasn't showing that? They didn't really have a good answer. The other thing I was wondering is maybe the saw itself has some sort of malfunction and can not draw off the full battery strength. Anyhow I was wondering if any of the tool guru's here maybe have some experience with the 36V Li Ion tools.

/ DeWalt 36V Tools #2  
Does DeWalt still have 36V tools? I thought my 28v Li-Ion was great. Are those Ni-Cad's?

/ DeWalt 36V Tools #3  
TG,

I'd agree with tech support and guess that three years of fairly heavy use and any rechargeable battery would be shot. I'm not sure about the charger indications but suspect that battery is getting all the charge it can still take.

Good luck replacing a couple of 36V Li Ion battery...OUCH! I feel your pain!

/ DeWalt 36V Tools
Does DeWalt still have 36V tools? I thought my 28v Li-Ion was great. Are those Ni-Cad's?

DeWalt is discontinuing the 28v range. They have a few new tools coming next year for the 36v range, and yes they are Li Ion. The cheapest I have found new batteries is 109. Not looking forward to replacing them, but I guess when you have to you have to.

/ DeWalt 36V Tools #6  
there are companies out there that can rebuild them for 1/2 price.

Also there are instructions online if you want to tackle it yourself

/ DeWalt 36V Tools #7  
Also a company that sells unbranded (clone) batteries at about 1/2 price out of California.

Do a search on EBay and you'll locate them. (sorry. lost the link)

/ DeWalt 36V Tools #8  
I have dozens of DeWalt 18v tools, so I'm stuck buying their new Li batteries. Oh well, they do last longer. I also have at least a dozen DeWalt 36v tools and they, by far, are the best tools I've used. The batteries are lithium and I've never had an issue with any yet unless you count backing over one with my truck. I have Bosch, Porter Cable, Makita, Ryobi and Milwaukee cordless tools as well. By far, the absolute worst cordless tools are the Milwaukee 28v tools. I have 6 batteries and they all will go dead within a week if not used. Three of the 6 have been replaced under warranty and still aren't worth a hoot.

I'd just replace the 36v batteries and move on with great tools. Just don't let anyone talk you into Milwaukee 28v stuff. Most other Milwaukee tools are first class tools. They blew it on their 28v stuff. Every contractor, HVAC, plumber and electrician I know has a story about throwing their Milwaukee 28v "crap" out into some pond, into some woods or out their window while going down the highway. Milwaukee lost a LOT of ground to competitors over those tools.

/ DeWalt 36V Tools #9  
Some interesting reading here:

How to prolong lithium-based batteries

Particularly this statement:

"Aging of lithium-ion is an issue that is often ignored. A lithium-ion battery in use typically lasts between 2-3 years. The capacity loss manifests itself in increased internal resistance caused by oxidation. Eventually, the cell resistance reaches a point where the pack can no longer deliver the stored energy although the battery may still have ample charge. For this reason, an aged battery can be kept longer in applications that draw low current as opposed to a function that demands heavy loads."

Would explain why your charger shows the battery is half charged but you are not getting the performance out of it.

/ DeWalt 36V Tools
I ordered a new battery for 109 from nationwide tool. I will let you guys know if it corrects my problem.