WTB: older farm hoe and need advise

/ WTB: older farm hoe and need advise #1  

LD1

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Long story short, dad is going to start building a house this spring. But there is an old block garage with concrete floor that needs to go as well as a larger bar with a concrete slab as well. Then he is going to build the house where the existing garage is, and then tear down the old farm house (1900's and falling appart).

The backhoe would be a huge help in removing the concrete sections and digging holes and burrying the stuff. He also is planning on digging the basement himself. So he is looking for an older "farm hoe".

He is looking to stay around $5000 or less. We see a few come up on c-list from time to time. Like case 580b's and 580c's, Ford 3400's, MF50's, etc.

So just looking for advise. What are some of the better older ones?? Any to stay away from?? All Ideas and thoughts are welcome. He IS NOT going to rent or hire it done. We have actually been wanting an older hoe for awhile now. It is just now is the time he can actually get good use out of it. And yes we are both mechanically inclined, re-building cylinders, replacing lines, welding, not going to be an issue. Actually the more work it needs, the better cause that usually means cheaper. Just looking to avoid the ones with known issues, if there are any.

/ WTB: older farm hoe and need advise #2  
I was a Case mechanic for 12 years back in the late 70's, early 80's.
Stay away from the 580B.
The 580B was as much a nightmare as the 580C was a dream.
If you can find a good 580C in your price range, you'll love it forever.

I can't offer mnuch advice on the Fords and MFs, but I do know Case from the "B" series up through the "E" series. Anything newer than a B is good machine.

Mark

/ WTB: older farm hoe and need advise
I was a Case mechanic for 12 years back in the late 70's, early 80's.
Stay away from the 580B.
The 580B was as much a nightmare as the 580C was a dream.
If you can find a good 580C in your price range, you'll love it forever.

I can't offer mnuch advice on the Fords and MFs, but I do know Case from the "B" series up through the "E" series. Anything newer than a B is good machine.

Mark

Now that you mention I think I remember hearing someone else say to stay away from the B's.

out of curiousity, what made the B's a nightmare.

/ WTB: older farm hoe and need advise #4  
The 580B's were based on the older 530 design. That being a farm tractor with a loader/backhoe frame built around the tractor. But when they decided the 580B needed to be a hydraulic shuttle shift (F to R) is where the problems started. They used both Rockwell and Twin Disc clutch assemblies and neither was very reliable back in that day and age.

Anything major that needed to be done required splitting the tractor. Of course, since there was a loader frame built around the tractor, this was a monstromental task in itself.

Hyd shuttle transmission and differential failures were the main problems. Either of those required a lot of work to repair.

When the 580C was introduced, one of its main selling points was "componentized drivetrain". The shuttle trans (hyd or man) could be removed without disturbing the engine or differential. Strip out a RG and pinion?? No problem. Slip the backhoe off, remove a few bolts and a drive shaft, lift up the back end of the machine and roll the complete axle out for easy access and repair.

The 580C was the first backhoe that Case built that was designed to be a TLB from the ground up, it wasn't an afterthought added onto a farm tractor and then "tweaked".

The 580B's were based on the older 530 design. That being a farm tractor with a loader/backhoe frame built around the tractor. But when they decided the 580B needed to be a hydraulic shuttle shift (F to R) is where the problems started. They used both Rockwell and Twin Disc clutch assemblies and neither was very reliable back in that day and age.

Anything major that needed to be done required splitting the tractor. Of course, since there was a loader frame built around the tractor, this was a monstromental task in itself.

Hyd shuttle transmission and differential failures were the main problems. Either of those required a lot of work to repair.

When the 580C was introduced, one of its main selling points was "componentized drivetrain". The shuttle trans (hyd or man) could be removed without disturbing the engine or differential. Strip out a RG and pinion?? No problem. Slip the backhoe off, remove a few bolts and a drive shaft, lift up the back end of the machine and roll the complete axle out for easy access and repair.

The 580C was the first backhoe that Case built that was designed to be a TLB from the ground up, it wasn't an afterthought added onto a farm tractor and then "tweaked".

Thanks for the info.

Have you heard anything good or bad about some of the other backhoes of the day. The ones that were competitors to the 580b and 580c?

/ WTB: older farm hoe and need advise #6  
Where I live, back in the days of the 580C and 580D, Case was truly the Construction King. In all the years I worked at that dealership, I don't remember once working on another brand of backhoe.

There were a couple of Ford 555's around but I've only seen 1 MF backhoe in this area ever.

I think the Ford 555 was a pretty good TLB but I don't have any experience operating or working on them.

Hope this helps.

Mark

Definataly helps.

Still nothing on c-list right at this time in my price range. But there are a couple close

A 580c for $6k
A little nicer looking 580c for $7.5k
A MF 50 for $6.3k
nice looking 580b for $6.5k (but I'll stay away from that one)

/ WTB: older farm hoe and need advise #8  
I don't think you'll find much in the $5K range. Maybe an old 580CK.
Lots of TLB's in the $7-9K range that still have life left. Case 580C , Ford 555 were good. Knew a guy that had good luck with a JD 410. I'd stay away from less popular brands as parts availability could be an issue.
If you can find one a Ford 4500 would be a good machine closer to your budget.

If you can find one a Ford 4500 would be a good machine closer to your budget.

There's actually one of them here on c-list too I forgot to mention. $6100

TraderMark: What is your opinions on a 310B

One of them just came up on c-list for ~3700. Looks rough and leakes some fluid, but he says it runs good and thats all that really matters. I can deal with a little leaking.