1979 Case 580c transmission problem

/ 1979 Case 580c transmission problem #1  

tdibar

Tractor
Case 580C
I need help. Well, thats what my wife tells me anyway. I just bought this backhoe in the fall. I'm totally green on this stuff. bought it to do some work around the place. You might say that he forgot to kiss me first.
My problem is that when I put it drive wether first or second gear, By the way its a power shuttle. It goes fine as long it is on level ground. If I have to go on any kind of incline it struggles real bad. first gear it hardly moves, 2nd gear if I give it the gas it goes.but slowly. Changed the trans fluid 3 times. The level is up there. Do you think I have clutch problems? I did see a bad oil leak around the solonoid, Could this have something to do with it? The RPM gauge was disconnected years ago. The wiring is a mess. But I'm gaining on that. The work has to be done by me. cant afford otherwise. The plus side is the hydrolics work good, all pins are tight, digs good, the bucket good too. A little leak by the vale body. And no play on the hoe when moving side toside. Its foot operated for side movement. Thats it. I'm in your hands.
Thank You

/ 1979 Case 580c transmission problem #2  
It could be the oil leak but more likely the shuttle clutch pack is fried. They are super easy to overhaul really. Shops shouldn't charge too much for it either. I hope. I haven't worked at a tractor dealer in about 10 years now. That's a good model you have.

/ 1979 Case 580c transmission problem #3  
WTA, does the 580C have a torque converter? Is it possible that the torque converter is slipping instead of the shuttle clutch?

/ 1979 Case 580c transmission problem #4  
The 580C does have a torgue convertor and it's possible it could be slipping.
It's more likely that the powershuttle needs an overhaul. The 580C was a great machine, it revolutionized the way most companies looked at building backhoes, but that early powershuttle was a bit of a weak link.

A good overhaul on the powershuttle, a new transmission pump (located in the front of the powershuttle just an auto trans on a car), and a new torque convetor will have you spinning tires with plenty of power for years to come!

Mark

/ 1979 Case 580c transmission problem #5  
tdibar,

you may want to check out prices from these folks. Case 580 Backhoe Power Shuttle Parts

I'm not affiliated with them in any way and have never done business with them, but the prices are very appealing.

Hope this helps.

Mark

/ 1979 Case 580c transmission problem
Eh Guys, Thank You for taking the time to try and helping Me, One who is totaly green in this stuff. As soon as the weather breaks where I'm able to lay on my back and do the work myself. I have no other options. I'm able to turn wrenches, and read a manual. I bought this thing in order to do some work around the place. contractors wanted too much. I paid $ 6,000 for it.I already put on new drive tire, Done extensive wiring, it was awfull. I still have to hookup the RPM cable, its not there. As well as the Hours. Looks like it got disconneted at 6800. I changed all fluids twice in hopes to clean things out.
You know I saw all these things later at home when I really tried to use it. His place was level and mine has inclines. Thats when I started to ask questions to myself. And I believe thats when the light came on. I got my hand caught in the door again. I believe in the good Lord and he will get his by someone smarter then me. But right now I have to move on and make the best of things. Not all people are bad. And you guys are proof of that. Who are willing to take their time and try to help someone else. I'm able to use it, But it goes slow; real tough up hill. I will let you know on my progress.

/ 1979 Case 580c transmission problem #7  
I think I have a manual for the 580c around here somewhere. It's not of much use to me on my 580k.

I think I have a manual for the 580c around here somewhere. It's not of much use to me on my 580k.

Sir,
Thank you for your help, and offer of the manual. that would be great.
How much are you asking for it?
Tony

/ 1979 Case 580c transmission problem #9  
I'll dig through the basement to see if I can find it. If I have it you're more than welcome to it.

Al
Thats very kind of you. I'm sure I'll be needing it. If you cant find it , thats O.K.
Just the thought means a great deal to me. You're a good guy Magee.