Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Tractor
    case 580 ck

Default Re: Old Case 580CK for farm backhoe

Wow! Can't tell you how glad I am to find you guys. Bought a 580 CK yesterday. Brakes are about shot and boom swing cylinders leak pretty good but otherwise a pretty dang nice machine. Scared me a little cause I'm not much of a wrencher but for $4,000 I couldn't walk away. Went online looking for answers and found TBN. New member ssun. All the info on this thread alone is priceless. Can't wait to open her up and dial in those brakes. Definitely love to hear more from those that have traveled that road already.
    O.K. operator, lousy mechanic. Look forward to all your experience.

ssun

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Massey 180 Diesel

Welcome to TBN ssun..!!

Quote Originally Posted by HuskerInVA View Post
    Yes, I found the serial number plate on the right side of the instrument panel. The old girl is a '71.
    have the same hoe and have had every problem in the world with it but am overcoming most in churchhill, tn

Silver Member
    Tractor
    farmall cub John Deere 310 Backhoe Loader Ventrac 4131

Started on brakes, I believe international tractors had a similar system. Had trouble getting battery case out and broke one bolt even with torches. I will work some more on it next week. You will need a special screwdriver. Read the post, there is a manual that was recommended. I downloaded for 20 dollars not the best manual ,but well worth 20.

Tractor
    580CK original; FORD 4000

I'M BACK after tornado, 35" of rain & 90 mph windstorm... ready to get back to restoration of 580CK

Needed next is to replace the RPM Guage (tachometer / proofmeter / hour meter).

It appears that this 580CK/188 diesel engine had a generator at one time, because the old tach cable ends right at what appears to be an alternator! The alternator has no tach output.

All ideas and suggestions greatly appreciated!

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Massey 180 Diesel

Not sure if the 580CK's have the same as my 310B..., I believe #4 Phillips head, 3/8" NC thread screws holding the bearing cage in, or not. I got recessed hex type screws for mine. So much easier to torque in even though it's only like 15 in. lbs., I believe...

Silver Member
    Tractor
    farmall cub John Deere 310 Backhoe Loader Ventrac 4131

brake parts are expensive. would try brokentractor or other web site for aftermarket parts. These brakes were completely shoot. i had to buy all new parts. shims and seals are case parts only.

Tractor
    Ford 555 TLB

Hello All,
    Well- I was looking at a Ford555 a couple of months ago... $14k seemed too high, to start out....

Now, I have now looked at a 580C CK- a 1978 machine.
    Extend-a-hoe, 4-in-1 loader, and a new(not rebuilt) engine.
    It has the usual issues: needs brake work, a few cylinder seals, some leaking under the backhoe controls, many rotted hoses and rusted tubes( none leaking at the moment), oil gauge not reading(maybe others)..... Overall, about 5 wet areas on the ground after operating the loader and hoe over 10 minute period. A little gear grinding with some extra effort shifting, but it moves forward/backward in all gears. $10k tag. Looks like these machines go for around $6-8k.

I'd probably have to put in $3k+, to make it reliable/safe and clean(stop leaks).
    Given the description, why put $13k into this machine, with the possibility of additional expenses (eventually transmission?), even with a new engine?

Thanks-
    kt

Tractor
    Case 580B CK

KT,

FWIW, I recently bought a mid 70's 5B0B CK with a shuttle problem for $3K. It has a few other issues but overall runs good after I got the shuttle pump pickup cleaned out... Brakes are always an issue with these if they have been sitting for any time at all because they are dry brakes and they rust up.

From what I have seen on the auction sites and fleabay, these are worth about $7500 in really good shape. JM2C...

HTH
    Dave

Tractor
    Ford 555 TLB

Hi Dave,
    Does help....
    I jut need to pickup an old decent machine and put some "sweat equity" into it.... something to work a bit of land once in a while.
    This machine has been worked pretty good, too. The loader has a few plates welded on, as well as some disfigurement along the top edge- from hooks/chains hanging off it. If it had a little more reconditioning, I could certainly give more for it.

Thanks,
    KT

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast