Old Case 580CK for farm backhoe

/ Old Case 580CK for farm backhoe #1  

HuskerInVA

Silver Member
Tractor
JD 3520, '71 Case 580CK TLB
I'm looking at an old Case 580CK for a farm backhoe. Runs very smooth with little smoke. Hydraulics seem quite strong, I could lift the entire unit off the ground at idle. Quite a bit of dry rot in the hydraulic hoses and a couple are leaking. Gauges are working, but think hour meter is stuck at ~2500.

My planned uses are expanding a 1/3 acre pond to about 1 acre and other normal farm uses -- stumps and the occaisional foundation or burying utility runs.

Whats the general feeling about the old 580CK models for farm backhoes? Can get this one for a good price, but not wanting a money pit either. Could pick it up for $4000.

Thanks

/ Old Case 580CK for farm backhoe #2  
Can't say much about the backhoe, but I have several spent several hundred hours on a 580CK that had 3 pt and a PTO. Bad thing with not having the backhoe was rear was very light. Lots of ballast was added. It was also a gas machine. Once the fuel issue was sorted out it ran great. The fuel tank was rusted bad, and due to its location, made it extremely difficult to get out for cleaning and coating. I mounted a new 5 gallon poly tank on the fender with a guard around it. After that it was a good machine. Even on a -5°F day it fired up immediately, and then I would let it idle for 10-15 minutes to warm up the hydraulics. It also had an unheated cab which was nice in the winter. The cab was open on the bottom so window fogging was not an issue. The only other major issue was rebuilding the hydraulic rams on the loader as the seals leaked quite a bit when I got it.

/ Old Case 580CK for farm backhoe
This one has the 4 speed shuttle shift. Any transmission/clutch problems?

Can't say much about the backhoe, but I have several spent several hundred hours on a 580CK that had 3 pt and a PTO. Bad thing with not having the backhoe was rear was very light. Lots of ballast was added. It was also a gas machine. Once the fuel issue was sorted out it ran great. The fuel tank was rusted bad, and due to its location, made it extremely difficult to get out for cleaning and coating. I mounted a new 5 gallon poly tank on the fender with a guard around it. After that it was a good machine. Even on a -5ーF day it fired up immediately, and then I would let it idle for 10-15 minutes to warm up the hydraulics. It also had an unheated cab which was nice in the winter. The cab was open on the bottom so window fogging was not an issue. The only other major issue was rebuilding the hydraulic rams on the loader as the seals leaked quite a bit when I got it.

/ Old Case 580CK for farm backhoe #4  
If everything works and the engine is strong, I don't see how you could possibly go wrong with that backhoe at that price. Use it enough to keep the batteries charged and it will probably serve you well more years and years. Even if you have to replace a few hoses it's still a huge bargain(dry rot is on the outside and doesn't effect hose inside). Nice find!:thumbsup:

/ Old Case 580CK for farm backhoe
I told the guy I will take it. I'm getting it for $3500 delivered. Hopefully didn't buy too much of a money pit.

She's not pretty, but seems quite strong. I'm thinking I name her Ugly Betty. I'll be bugging everyone a lot more on this forum as I dive in and discover what needs to be fixed.

Attachments

• 676A0112.JPG
    676A0112.JPG
    439.1 KB · Views: 9,024
   / Old Case 580CK for farm backhoe #6  
You got a real good deal I think. :thumbsup:
A good steam clean and paint job will make a world of difference. Oh, and maybe raise the exhaust stack another foot or so so you don't see the blue smoke. :laughing:

/ Old Case 580CK for farm backhoe #7  
These are very good machines. That is what I had for my first back hoe. Sold it for what I paid for it after 2 years of hard work. Had over 10,000 hours on it and still ran strong. Had the Case 188 diesel in it, smoked a little at start up, but other than that it was a good old machine. It too had the 4 speed shuttle in it.

Good luck with yours.

/ Old Case 580CK for farm backhoe #8  
What you need desperately is a service manual and parts list.

/ Old Case 580CK for farm backhoe #9  
I told the guy I will take it. I'm getting it for $3500 delivered. Hopefully didn't buy too much of a money pit.

She's not pretty, but seems quite strong. I'm thinking I name her Ugly Betty. I'll be bugging everyone a lot more on this forum as I dive in and discover what needs to be fixed.

for that price, if you put $3000 in it, you are still ahead.

/ Old Case 580CK for farm backhoe #10