Why are tracks not popular anymore?

/ Why are tracks not popular anymore? #1  

houstonscott

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L3800, Kubota GR2120, Kubota RTV1100, Kubota 5100sc
Can anyone give an argument for tracked tractor's like the NH TK4030v. Just wondering why tracks don't seem to be even a consideration for a new tractor. Does anyone own a small tracked tractor, how do they compare?

HS

/ Why are tracks not popular anymore? #2  
Tracks are much more expensive to buy, maintain and replace.

/ Why are tracks not popular anymore? #3  
For sand hills soft ground etc tracks are better than wheels. Tracks do not work well in areas where you want to leave the ground undisturbed while turning. Every time you turn you tear up the ground whether it be a gravel drive or a head land on a field.

Did tracked skid loaders also steel part of this market?

/ Why are tracks not popular anymore? #5  
It really depends as you are talking about two different markets between tractors and skid loaders.

On tractors the twin track versions do tear and rut while turning and they also are limited on hills versa the four track systems.

Skids have come and are leveling some as they are not everything for everybody!

/ Why are tracks not popular anymore? #6  
so often we want to go down to the neihbours to.... cant with track type.. although with some niebours this may be a good thing.Also track types are slow when coming in from the field or towing wagons or.. but for getting down and gettting the job done ,tracks will out work everytime hence bulldozers vs loaders.tracks are better in soft ground or snow

/ Why are tracks not popular anymore? #7  
Tracks are much more expensive to buy, maintain and replace.

I don't think they ever were popular for farming except for certain soil and use conditions. I worked with a guy from Iowa who said they had peat type soil and they used them extensively for field work.

I would use nothing else in the woods but a a tracked vehicle.

They still seem popular in parts of Eastern Washington's wheat country because of the soil and the hills, I'd guess. They have less ground pressure then the wheeled machines. The tracks are expensive to maintain.

/ Why are tracks not popular anymore? #8  
It is also like the reason why we don't see steel wheels any more since they damaged the roots of crops. The steel will damage the root system of certain plants in orchards and vineyards and since the machine will be so heavy it always will. With rubber tires that is not a factor. But I do think that a crawler should be offered. :)

/ Why are tracks not popular anymore? #9  
In the right conditions, tracks are the best. It all comes down to market share. To run a production line effectively, a set number of units needs to built, and sold profitably. Since track machines is a small market, only few manufacturers choose to offer them. If the units being produced become desirable, other manufacturers will join in.

/ Why are tracks not popular anymore? #10  
In the right conditions, tracks are the best. It all comes down to market share. To run a production line effectively, a set number of units needs to built, and sold profitably. Since track machines is a small market, only few manufacturers choose to offer them. If the units being produced become desirable, other manufacturers will join in.

and as far a nh used to go that was 50 had to be sold in one year at a profit on the large 60hp and up