John deere 310 steering locking up

/ John deere 310 steering locking up #1  

jusalooking

Tractor
Several John Deere 2 cly, JD 440 Dozer, 2 cat D2s, JD 310 Backhoe, Farmall 300, Farmall Super C and a Kubota Zero turn deisel mower plus a new RTV 900 that i just love
Yesterday i got my hoe out from sitting inside all winter, the steering is locking up, if you just bump the loader lever it frees it up just for a second, When i bought it, it had a new hyd pump on it, it just acts like a valve is stuck somewhere, Some times it works decent than it is froze up,

/ John deere 310 steering locking up
Any ideals before i start taking things apart from point a to b, Thanks

/ John deere 310 steering locking up #3  
How's the fluid level?

It,s full,

/ John deere 310 steering locking up #5  
Is there a priority valve for steering in the hydraulic system? Maybe you could research priority valves on TBN to get an idea how they work, and what they look like.

/ John deere 310 steering locking up #6  
There is a priority valve. It's located under the engine cover, infront of the fuel tank. There is also a steering pump mounted on the main pump and a steering valve. Could be any of these or more. Ask someone how to check them instead of taking it all apart...

I was going to get a manual off of Ebay but when i went to get it, it went off, it was $109 then the same manual came back for $249. I have tons, of shop manuals because i had a repair shop for farm mach, I just didn,t want another one. When i got the hoe it had this going on but after it got warm it wasn,t to bad, The owner before me had put a new main pump on and split it and put a new clutch in, It just needs put in the shop and going over for about a week but you know how it is with your own stuff it gets put on the back burner until you need it

/ John deere 310 steering locking up #8  
   / John deere 310 steering locking up #9  
To do any checks you will need some form of flow meter and a pressure gauge at minimum.

Once you get a parts / service manual and you identified the inlet hose to the steering unit install theflow meter in this hose. No flow means no steering.

Now install the flow meter on the inlet to the PFC (Priority Flow Control). if there is flow here the problem is most likely the PFC. These usually have a spring loaded spool in them. If this spool is binding it will cause the problem you are describing.

If you can take the spool out, carefully polish it with fine sand paper or emery cloth. DON"T use coarse paper. The spool should slide freely in the bore.

Roy

/ John deere 310 steering locking up #10  
What is the presure setting on a 310D prioraty valve (presure relive valve)?