help with case 580ck

/ help with case 580ck #1  

antykuk4

Tractor
case 580ck
I have just become the owner of a case 580ck 1970.

I have changed the oil and filter. Engine runs, but I want to change the hydraulic oil. There's so many fill openings and drain plugs. Can't figure out which goes to shuttle and which goes to tranny? don't know if all takes same fluid.

I have purchased a shop and operators manual, but the books do';t cover the basics. I've never owned backhoe-loader before but have worked on other machines.

trying to locate where to fill and check the hydraulic fluid for the shuttle.

also looking for information on operation. It has shuttle and s and 1-4 gears. can it be shifted on the fly or does it need to be shifted at stop. trying to shift while moving creates much grinding in transmission.

/ help with case 580ck #2  
there is not a drain bolt on the side of the case under the seat I would imagine that is where the hydraulic pumps are. My 1970 MF has to stop to shift I have the transmission of right now and you can see the wear from attempting to shift on the move, might want to stop for now before you do damage. Could also be clutch adjustment.

/ help with case 580ck #3  
Welcome antykuk4

I bought a '71 580CK about a month ago and have been going through the same process. I have found the parts diagrams on the case website to be very helpful in figuring out where to drain and fill all fluids. I attached 2 images. One for the torque converter which shows the 2 drain plugs and the dipstick/fill location. Second image is the transmission case showing 1 drain plug and dipstick/fill.

Attachments

• Torque_Converter.jpg
    Torque_Converter.jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 5,521
  • Transmission_case.jpg
    Transmission_case.jpg
    270.4 KB · Views: 6,580
   / help with case 580ck
Thank you for your help!

/ help with case 580ck #5  
Mine has same 4 speed shuttle shift. Just by playing around I have shifted from 3rd to 4th while moving w/out grinding. While I was at full speed in 3rd took my foot off the foot throttle while I moved the shuttle lever to neutral, depressed clutch, shifted to 4th, shuttle lever to forward and back to throttle. Having the shuttle lever in neutral seems to be the key to the rolling shifts.

I haven't tried any other gear shifts than the 3 to 4. Gears 1-3 don't seem to have any issues starting from a complete stop, but starting right off in 4th seems to be kind of hard on the clutch. Any other owners know starts from stop in 4th is bad for the clutch?

also looking for information on operation. It has shuttle and s and 1-4 gears. can it be shifted on the fly or does it need to be shifted at stop. trying to shift while moving creates much grinding in transmission.

/ help with case 580ck #6  
I also just bought a 580ck. It would appear that most of them have not ever been taken care of. To fill your hydraulic fluid there is two vents on top of the loader frame. The one on the left is where you will fill it. On the same left side there is a 1/4" plug that needs to be taken out as that indicates when you are full. Both sides of the loader frame are connected together by a line that runs by the radiator. The frame is hollow and is where your hydraulic oil is. I am going through the same process with mine. Fixing leaking hydraulic seals, changing oil/filters etc... lots of time and $$$ Good luck.