Case 580E Loses Forward when hot

/ Case 580E Loses Forward when hot #1  

jcmitchell74

Tractor
Case 580E
I have a case 580e that will push with full power when cool (start of day) but quickly fades to almost nothing in forward once everything has warmed up. Rev remains strong at all times. I have already pulled the power shuttle once and replaced the forward drive clutches and the belleville spring as well as the seals (o-rings) on the forward drive piston. I can't figure this out but I must get my tractor repaired pronto!! Can't give up much work these days. Has anyone come across a diagnosis for this issue?

Last edited:
   / Case 580E Loses Forward when hot #2  
Any chance you can install a pressure gauge on/for the forward servo to compare it to the rear? It could also be that your control valve is by-passing after the oil gets warmed up, did you look into that?

/ Case 580E Loses Forward when hot
Gathering the tools to check the pressures. Not sure how I would check Forward versus Reverse but I am going to check the pressure from the pump to the directional valve at the first opportunity. Currently planning to run the tractor with oil that is much thicker than called for to determine if a bleed is causing my problem. Thank you for your time and help. I will post my findings as soon as I have something to report.

/ Case 580E Loses Forward when hot #4  
Per the local Case dealer Case made several models of that actually contained a torque convert. A guy was going to look at one and the dealer said if the seller would not let it work until it got hot expect to have to have a new torque converter. Wound up with a JD BH so never learned much about the Case line of that era.

/ Case 580E Loses Forward when hot #5  
jcmitchell74,
Out of curosity, what oil have you been using, and what (heavier) oil are you planning to use? Even if your machine has a torque converter that still would not produce your symptoms. The torque converter operates in one direction only, and transmits power to the input of the shuttle clutch.
What has proven to work successfully in the Yuchai shuttle clutches is ISO AW 220 machine oil, which is formulated for use in friction geared drives and carries a AGMA approval rating.

/ Case 580E Loses Forward when hot #7  
Any chance the oil is foaming or bubbling a lot?

Builder that is a GOOD question. In our case (1983 JD 310 BH) the slipping when going forward improved as the water content decreased of the fluid with use. After the second quart of Sea Foam use the fluid went perfectly clear.

Where there may be other age related issues with old shuttle drive systems I think water boiling/transmission fluid foaming means a compressable gas vs only solid oil is in the lines making it hard to reach needed PSI.

Now the weather is warming (if one flood after another will stop) I will see how the slipping is after setting outside all winter.

/ Case 580E Loses Forward when hot #8  
Builder that is a GOOD question. In our case (1983 JD 310 BH) the slipping when going forward improved as the water content decreased of the fluid with use. After the second quart of Sea Foam use the fluid went perfectly clear.

Where there may be other age related issues with old shuttle drive systems I think water boiling/transmission fluid foaming means a compressable gas vs only solid oil is in the lines making it hard to reach needed PSI.

Now the weather is warming (if one flood after another will stop) I will see how the slipping is after setting outside all winter.

Yeah, I had hydraulic issues with a FORD backhoe years back. Turns out the hyd fluid was foaming and not allowing the hyd lines to get adequate pressure.

/ Case 580E Loses Forward when hot #9  
Foaming could also be too much fluid in the tranny. Overheating can be not enough fluid in the tranny, I had an alison transmission and it will not move in the morning until I let it seat for fifteen to twenty five minutes only when I dump the oil to change fluid and filter did I find out the machine was low on transmission fluid. :ashamed:

/ Case 580E Loses Forward when hot #10  
When I get back from a RV trip in Oct I need to get the new shiifter boots that I paid JD dearly for because I think that is one path for moisture to get into our fluid.