Dump Trucks

/ Dump Trucks #31  
The link is a photo/add of the type of truck and year i've been looking at.
Let me know what you think, to small too much trouble.
Thanks again
Brian
1998 FORD F SERIES for sale in Cocoa, Florida - EquipmentTraderOnline.com

That's my truck, but I have the 429 gasser and Allison AT545. As Builder mentioned about the cab, not sure what the cab is, but its plenty large enough. If that truck were available when I bought mine, I would have strongly considered it. It will have the Lucas Girling brakes. The box has a telescoping ram vice the scissors lift, which in my opinion is much better, but the doghouse takes up some space in the box -- The box is made by Tebco in Ky I believe.

Mine is yellow, I was wondering how it would look white or black :)

/ Dump Trucks #32  
Well, I can tell you what happens in my area. Most of the truckers are pretty serious, its a business for them. They are all running at least tandem axles, and a lot of them semis with a larger dump trailer. They are usually hauling for construction companys, hauling rock, ashpalt, dirt, etc to large construction projects, such as highways, large building sites, etc. You probably won't get these guys to haul a load of anything to your house unless they are really slow.

There are also a couple of guys in my area that will haul for the homeowner type person. They will haul gravel and dirt. One of them even has a stockpile of topsoil he gets from various construction sites. They are using single axle trucks. One of them is a farmer and hauls the dirt on the side. I would add that the add for the Ford truck you posted would be the minumum size I would start with.

/ Dump Trucks #33  
That sounds like it could be a good nitch type of market...others are too busy with bigger jobs and larger equipment...

/ Dump Trucks #34  
Big Bri -

I've been following your thread with great interest. First of all, I admire you're enthusiasm about getting out of the rat race and starting something new that you might actually enjoy!
One question that sticks out in my mind....you said you're selling your business.....so would this new job be a needed primary source of income, or just a side business that you hope to make money at, but aren't strapped if you don't? Big difference between the two.
I'm actually in a similar situation. I work overseas, and would LOVE to quit and work for myself at home. I love operating equipment and own outright several pieces of equipment, with a 1 ton PU and the trailer to haul everything. (except the 2 big ones) I'm gunshy at this point but not ruling it out down the road when I'm in a more financially capable status. (able to lose $$$...:laughing:) And, I've got a pit about 3 miles from my house....:D
Back to the dump truck. I recently bought and sold a 1 ton dump for a big dirt project that's been completed. I shopped around quite a bit, and was going back and forth between a 5-ton type rig, (just under CDL, like the ford you're looking at) or a 1 ton+ with 4wd. I ended up with a F350 460 gasser. Now you would think with a monster gas engine it would pull OK......not. With a decent load, it was a dog. One older IH dump with the small diesel was also a dog on the test drive, and that was empty! Point being, I have to agree with builder that the 5.9 motor, albeit a good motor, might be struggling with a good load, particularly if you have hills. One truck I looked at was a ford with the bigger CAT, and the seller offered to take it for a test drive to the pit and load/drive it with a full load of gravel.....which was a great idea, but he was asking way to much $$$$. My next dump, will probably be an IH with the DT466. I would seriously consider a F550 w/10' bed 4wd with a 7.3 motor, (4wd giving you more accessibility) but the prices for these rigs is prohibitive.
Definitely have the mechanic go over it, I've done this several times with equipment and it can be a lifesaver.
Best of luck, and looking forward to seeing which way this goes....!

/ Dump Trucks #35  
There's a reason IH sells more medium duty trucks than anyone else.
There's also a reason the DT466 has been in service for over 30 years.

Like I said, don't pass up a good deal on another brand IF it's a really good deal. See if you can find an airbraked truck with 26K GVWR or less. The service and reliability of the brakes puts you way ahead of juice brakes.

I too like BigBri's enthusiam. I went to work last week thinking how lucky I was to be able to do something I feel God made/wanted me to do. It feels "natural" for me to be running a backhoe/excavator, driving a dumptruck, mowing big fields, building a big garage, etc. I really wish it paid more, though.

/ Dump Trucks
One question that sticks out in my mind....you said you're selling your business.....so would this new job be a needed primary source of income, or just a side business that you hope to make money at, but aren't strapped if you don't? Big difference between the two.

I will be living off my rental property, so this is more for extra income and to give me something to do. I'm way too young to just sit around the house.
I would like to grow it into something big but if it doesn't work out i'd still have a dump truck:D.
Basically in a nut shell, after all expensives paid i'd like to net about 2k a month after the first year. This would just be "mad money" for taking trips with the wife and kids and to buy more toys for my tractor/and tools for the shed.
The main reason for hauling dirt was that i figured that if i wanted to take a week or two and do some traveling i could pay a friend to run the truck while i'm gone or just refer the jobs to another driver. I don't want to get back to 60hr a week job (that what i do now at a min.) I've only had one vacation in the last 6 years and i am ready to slow down and not be so stressed out.

I am lucky in the fact that i have paid off my debt fast and lived well under my means for the last 10 years. My house, rental property, and business are all paid for and the only thing i own money on is my truck (could pay that off if i wanted but the interest rate is so low i don't feel the need) and my kids school, 8k a year for one and the other will be going to the same school in 2 years.

I'm still not sold on the whole dirt hauling idea but i am giving it a lot of thought.
Brian

/ Dump Trucks #37  
I mean, if it's just a passion you have and it doesn't need to show a profit, then go for it.
I don't want to be one to tell a man not to pursue a passion, :( just keeping it real in terms of what to expect.

/ Dump Trucks #38  
I am in a similar situation as yourself, maybe 4-5 years ahead of you. I have a job that keeps me away from home and a few years ago i quit to go into the dirt biz. I have learned that nothing is how I thought it would be. what seemed very simple on paper never seemed to be how it worked out. 5 years later I do have 2 dump trucks ( old chevy C65 gasser/ chevy 4500 4x4) a backhoe mini track loader and an excavator. I have also returned to my previous job to help support the habit. My backhoe biz is doing the best it has since starting. it has been a very slow process that i don't think will be ready for me to go full time with for 3 more years.
Listen very closely to what Builder is saying. He is dead on in all the advice he is giving. I will add that for the loads you are wanting to haul to look at the isuzu cabover dumps. great manuverability in tight driveways. You have yet to mention where you are from. this is important due to the little real estate/building slowdown the country is going through. without other niche services i don't believe you will stay busy enough to justify your expenses for this.

/ Dump Trucks #39  
Why not give it a whirl? Sounds like all you have to lose is....nothing. Finding something to occupy time, earn money and have fun at is something most people will never do.

/ Dump Trucks #40  
I am in a similar situation as yourself, maybe 4-5 years ahead of you. I have a job that keeps me away from home and a few years ago i quit to go into the dirt biz. I have learned that nothing is how I thought it would be. what seemed very simple on paper never seemed to be how it worked out. 5 years later I do have 2 dump trucks ( old chevy C65 gasser/ chevy 4500 4x4) a backhoe mini track loader and an excavator. I have also returned to my previous job to help support the habit. My backhoe biz is doing the best it has since starting. it has been a very slow process that i don't think will be ready for me to go full time with for 3 more years.
Listen very closely to what Builder is saying. He is dead on in all the advice he is giving. I will add that for the loads you are wanting to haul to look at the isuzu cabover dumps. great manuverability in tight driveways. You have yet to mention where you are from. this is important due to the little real estate/building slowdown the country is going through. without other niche services i don't believe you will stay busy enough to justify your expenses for this.

Great advice. It just dawned on me that Big Bri lives on pretty much flat land, so big power is just a waste. Although lower on power than domestic trucks, the Asian cab overs are insanely cheap & reliable to own/operate. I have grown to appreciate these trucks and love the influence they had on the GM 4500/5500 truck designs. Yes, great visibility as Capt Met said. Great suggestion! :thumbsup:

Jealous of the 4500 4x4 Capt Met!!!! Probably the best light/medium contractor's truck ever built.DMAX/Ally/4x4/tight turn radius/heavy built. :thumbsup: Puts the competiton to shame. I want one.