Wont Start Help

/ Wont Start Help #1  

spencer087

Tractor
John Deere 2320
OK i have a 1990 Case Maxi Sneaker series B with the 2 cylinder Mitsubishi motor... It acts like it has a dead battery whenever i try to start it but the battery tested out good. It seems like it struggles to turn over one or two revolutions than it stops and the cables get extremely hot. Is this a bad starter? Or do you think the engine is seized.... I don't think it could be the 2nd because it is maintained well and it isnt run very much and was working fine when i put it away. Thanks!!!!!

/ Wont Start Help #2  
check the battery connection to the selnoid it could be loose or real corroded.
then check the connections at the switch and make sure they are good as well. it sounds more like a connection prob. at this point so far.

/ Wont Start Help #3  
I dont know that specific machine, but I'd say chack all battery cables and connections. See if you can manually turn the engine over by hand (socket on the crank center bolt maybe) If nothing obvious reveals itself, pull the starter and bench test it (jumper cables off a known good battery will do the trick).

/ Wont Start Help #4  
When was the last time you ran it?
It also sounds like a hydraulic lock, which can be caused by coolant or fuel in a cylinder. If everything else doen't produce results pull the injectors and crank it over.

/ Wont Start Help
Thankyou for the responses! whenever i hok cables directly to the starter and try to start it it just clicks one time then heats the cables... sometimes it clicks several times before silence/heating the cables. I thought maybe the battery was going dead because it would turn over just really slow at first and after trying to start it a few times with it turning real slow i charged the battery and had it tested and now the clicks. When it was turning over real slow i also hooked up my tractor to it to try to jump it as well. Maybe the starter burnt up? I will try turning it myself to make sure it is not locked up...

/ Wont Start Help #6  
When was the last time you ran it? Inquiring minds want to know!!
Do you know if the clicking sound you are hearing is the solenoid moving?
Do you know if the starter drive is engaging the flywheel?

/ Wont Start Help #7  
if it is a larger diesel engine does it have a decompression lever/cable that activates when you hit the key so it can turn over easier. i had a few small gas engines that had this and if they didn`t work it was real hard to turn them over.

/ Wont Start Help #8  
Ground cable(s)??

/ Wont Start Help
Last time i ran it was probably month and half ago. And would this cable be attached to the actual key? It is a 33 hp 2 cylinder diesel motor. is it possible for a starter to have enough power to click but not enough power to turn it over if it is going bad?

/ Wont Start Help #10  
Your battery cables are not getting hot because of a bad connection - quite the contrary. Either the starter is frozen or the engine is frozen. I think the clicking you hear is the solenoid engaging the starter drive into the flywheel.
remove the starter and take it to a shop and have it tested, shouldn't cost you anything. If the starter checks out OK then you know what you have to do.
Being laid up for so long, especially during cold weather, lots of things can happen when your back is turned.