Default Re: ASV Undercarriage design 4500/4810

We'll meet any price on Track loader parts
    NWTEREX
    www.fmisales.com
    509-927-4071

Tractor
    ASV HD 4500

All I can add is about the planetary oil change. 1st make sure you run the posi track for 10 mins. at least to heat up the oil. Then it will drain out. This should be changed every 1000 hrs.. Use 80-90W gear lube. You should have a kit that will help change the oil in your filter service compartment. Make sure area is very clean before changing oil. No dirt at all should fall in the planetaries.

Tractor
    ASV HD 4500

Quote Originally Posted by mark4500 View Post
    New to the forum here, name is Mark. Found this thread by searching for ASV parts. I have a 1999 4500 HD with a Davco cutter and other attachments that we use daily in our construction business in N. Florida. Currently the machine is down due to a worn out planetary drive. I have been hoping to find a supplier for the internal parts to rebuild it myself but I am striking out on that endeavor. Does anyone have any ideas. Mark.
    I have an ASV HD 4500 and am rebuilding one side with new track and bogies on the other. Maybe more. Planetaries are not cheap, but are available through "Track Loader Parts.com. Part # 0307- 030 $3,137.86. 1-877-857-7209. Parts to rebuild the whole undercarriage is about $16000 +. My mechanic is charging me $600 to do what is needed and that includes rerouting hydraulic hoses that hit cage, fixing one hydraulic hose, fixing belt squeal noice (belt is tight so hoping it is not a bearing) as that John Deere Engine was replaced and has never failed me. Rear lights work, but he is replacing front lights. Had water in them and most all need after market lights. Seat is $500 for factory seat, but I am having upholstery shop do mine with thicker back and yellow and black. Had a new paint job with decals for $1000. Mostly I have to replace my Drive motor assembly ($900 ea. side), tracks (at least one). $1750 to $2300 delivered) and bogies (10 ea. side and called "assembly, tube W/wheels 10" $539. Finally, Assy, axle 10" $790 and 14" $1050. Good luck my friend. Oh, he is also going to grind off the welds from my quick attach bucket. Someone welded it on and with it I have taken out triple truck 60' high oaks and that is not an easy job, especially near the house with wires and water lines. However I have cut the telephone wire in 3 places (I can fix). Have broke water lines 5 times (Easy fix). With a skidsteer this other member was right on. Go all the way around the tree out about 3 to 6' and you may have to dig down 4 to 6', but I do one side and fill it in. It is a bit spooky for sure and I have these black oaks which are hollow and if any part of a big branch above is dying, watch out. AND they are heavy!!!!. 80Hp is enough for any machine to get you into trouble. When buying tracks do not get more treat than factory as they make the tread to match the HP. You can break things when forcing your machine to do things it was not designed for. Fortunately my override on hydraulics works great. I just back off when it happens and go again, but on the 115Hp machines they will push alot more before the by-pass kicks in and if you don't back off by feel something could snap.

Tractor
    ASV 4810

I have had an ASV 4810 here in Keene, NH for the past 10 years. In addition, I am an internet ferret finding information. One tidbit you all may benefit from knowing is that the final drive, the planetary drive, that big expensive part in the back, is manufactured for many 1995-2005 ASV units, including the 4810 and 4500 series by Auburn Gear, of 400 East Auburn Drive, Auburn IN 46706-3499 USA. Phone number there is (260)925-3600. As of last year, there is a wonderful woman named Jane at extension 310. Jane is an ASV undercarriage expert and knows these drives inside out. She sells all the parts individually, so I bought the three impossible to get planetary gears, proprietary seals and gaskets for about $45 total. As a result, I saved $3000+ completely rebuilding my ASV 4810 final drive, complete with gaskets and seals. NOTE: Jane had to send the parts to a distributor who actually sold them to me. The distributor was Hydro Air (CT Office in North Haven), Salesman Mike Mcgrath at 203-672-8824. Hope this helps since I have never seen anyone post this really great final drive information. ASV/TEREX only sold the complete unit for $3000. "www.auburngear.com" I believe the unit is called a "Model 7 Power Wheel Planetary Gear Drive" and Auburn has a spec sheet (PW7-0300) available on the unit.
    Last edited by safecrackers; 08-13-2013 at 02:53 PM.

Tractor
    ASV HD 4500

Thanks for the info. My 4500 is in the shop right now. I kid that worked with his dad for many years and works for the oil field on anything with tracks. He is putting on new Hydraulic drive assembly's and a new track on one side. All else looks good and looks as new. Someone else took good care of it. I have taken out some monster oaks. Almost scary as there is no stopping this thing, but figured I'd better get it in before I lose a track. Belt squeals loud when high rpm. He will fix that also. Just hope it's not a bearing as this is a newer John Deere engine and looks brand new. Whole machine has 3011 miles on it. Drive assembly's are $900 ea. side and tracks from $1750 to $2300. Someone said to stick with OEM. Works for my racing ATV's, but how about it? Any good after market tracke less expensive??? Thanks for the info on the planetaries. I printed the info. Ernie

Tractor
    ASV 4810

Quote Originally Posted by ASV HD 4500 View Post
    Thanks for the info. My 4500 is in the shop right now. I kid that worked with his dad for many years and works for the oil field on anything with tracks. He is putting on new Hydraulic drive assembly's and a new track on one side. All else looks good and looks as new. Someone else took good care of it. I have taken out some monster oaks. Almost scary as there is no stopping this thing, but figured I'd better get it in before I lose a track. Belt squeals loud when high rpm. He will fix that also. Just hope it's not a bearing as this is a newer John Deere engine and looks brand new. Whole machine has 3011 miles on it. Drive assembly's are $900 ea. side and tracks from $1750 to $2300. Someone said to stick with OEM. Works for my racing ATV's, but how about it? Any good after market tracke less expensive??? Thanks for the info on the planetaries. I printed the info. Ernie
    Ernie,
    If you are interested, these ASV units can be wired to work similar to a remote control car/truck if you like to play with larger than average "toys". It is my understanding that the 4500 series and 4810 have been used to locate and safely disable landmines in desert and other operations due to their light footprint. So, if you suspect you have a minefield or two on your property, I suggest that someone already makes and sells the appropriate 30-40 foot wide "attachment".

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    ASV 4810

Quote Originally Posted by safecrackers View Post
    I have had an ASV 4810 here in Keene, NH for the past 10 years. In addition, I am an internet ferret finding information. One tidbit you all may benefit from knowing is that the final drive, the planetary drive, that big expensive part in the back, is manufactured for many 1995-2005 ASV units, including the 4810 and 4500 series by Auburn Gear, of 400 East Auburn Drive, Auburn IN 46706-3499 USA. Phone number there is (260)925-3600. As of last year, there is a wonderful woman named Jane at extension 310. Jane is an ASV undercarriage expert and knows these drives inside out. She sells all the parts individually, so I bought the three impossible to get planetary gears, proprietary seals and gaskets for about $45 total. As a result, I saved $3000+ completely rebuilding my ASV 4810 final drive, complete with gaskets and seals. NOTE: Jane had to send the parts to a distributor who actually sold them to me. The distributor was Hydro Air (CT Office in North Haven), Salesman Mike Mcgrath at 203-672-8824. Hope this helps since I have never seen anyone post this really great final drive information. ASV/TEREX only sold the complete unit for $3000. "www.auburngear.com" I believe the unit is called a "Model 7 Power Wheel Planetary Gear Drive" and Auburn has a spec sheet (PW7-0300) available on the unit.
    Been a while since i checked in on this tread.
    Thanks for the info safecrackers.
    It is much appreciated
    3 cockshutt 1855,1 cockshutt 1800.
    Belarus 800 and 925 .AC 940 whl ldr.Waldon 500 whl ldr.
    ASV 4810 tracksteer.
    4 GMC 2500 6.5/6.2 diesel trucks

Tractor
    ASV 4810

Quote Originally Posted by safecrackers View Post
    I believe the unit is called a "Model 7 Power Wheel Planetary Gear Drive" and Auburn has a spec sheet (PW7-0300) available on the unit.
    It's actually named 'Power Wheel' Model 6 double reduction wheel drive. I spoke to Jane Wilhelm at AuburnGear [her new direct dial phone number is 260-920-3510] about my busted up ASV 4810 final drive. She really knows her product...sent me the 6000-1067 parts list and diagram. I had a question that my OEM unit seemed to have an extra gear in it that didn't show in their parts breakdown. It seems there is a gear called the secondary sun gear that is a part of the larger, #18 primary carrier; it is splined to the input shaft. It is not sold separate and is different than #19 sun gear.

So, that brings my total parts outlay to ~$1100 + shipping from Indiana. Which is far less than dealing with that e-tailer that sells skid steer parts online at a very high markup. BTW, AuburnGear's distributor that I dealt with in NY state said there is a 2 week wait once the order is placed until it is shipped...don't know why...perhaps now is their busy season. I dealt with the NY state distributor since it saved me PA sales tax...no matter what distributor you deal with, none have these parts on their shelves. They are all drop shipped direct from AuburnGear so the shipping fee will always be the same. Also, the complete 6000-1067 planetary unit has an 8-10 week wait to ship. But at $1694 + shipping is a lot less expensive than that e-tailer's price. I couldn't wait that long for the complete final drive so decided to rebuild my original.

[IMG][/IMG]

Disregard those reference numbers on this drawing that start with 0118-, they are out of date since Jane told me this drawing is more than 20 years old.

[IMG][/IMG]

There are also service kits available for small parts such as selective fit retaining rings so you don't need to order each individual part number. NOTE: the included items numbering is one number too high as it is referencing a new model 6 planetary that includes a boot seal for item #4.

[IMG][/IMG]

PS...There's also available on AuburnGear's site a service manual PDF download that includes assembly/dis assembly instructions, lube recommendations, etc. Go to Auburngear.com. Click on the upper right green bar labeled 'power wheel.' Once that page loads, on the same line click on 'support' and from the drop down list, click 'manuals.' Click on model 6. Then go down the list of PDF files and click on Double reduction wheel drives. That will open the 245KB file. No other publication gives torque values or end play tolerances when rebuilding one of these final drives. I hope this info helps others who are searching for info on fixing their ASV machines.
    Last edited by 69chevy; 10-09-2013 at 11:07 AM. Reason: found more info

Tractor
    ASV 4810

Quote Originally Posted by bz1 View Post
    J I will be replacing them with bolts I found from my cheap source. Instead of $17 on line I'm paying $4 at my source. I managed also to ruin one of the sprocket rings that are on inboard and outboard edge of sprocket.
    Could you share where you purchased the 12" bolts and ring from?

Tractor
    NH 7840

I have a 4810 and recently the hydraulic drive hose going to the Eaton motor that pushes the planetary drive blew out. I need to replace it (the top one) and was just wondering what is the most practical way to do it? I see 4 options: 1) remove track to be able to loosen the rear fitting; or 2) possibly remove the Eaton motor so can gain access to the fitting; or 3) drop the axles / raise the rest of it to get to the hose fitting; or 4) fabricate a 1 1/2"? clawfoot wrench and hope it will get enough torque to loosen the fitting. Any suggestions?

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast