Looking at a Case 580B

/ Looking at a Case 580B #1  

wmonroe

Elite Member
Tractor
1958 Ford 961 Powermaster
I have been looking for a used backhoe and found a Case 580B that appears in decent shape. I know the guy that owned it before the current owner and he thinks it is a 73 model year. It started up with no problem and seemed to run well with no abnormal amounts/color of smoke. I'm not very familiar with the 580B as most of my experience is on a 580C. The B appears slightly smaller than the C. What help advice can you give me. They are asking $4500 and i probably won't go over $4k.
Thanks
Bill

/ Looking at a Case 580B
I went and looked at it again and the hour meter says 1150 hours but i'm sure it's 11,500. How many hours does the engine/transmission, etc usually go before needing a full rebuild? Also found some of the serial numbers, 5209441 (on the loader frame), 5204330 (on the hoe frame). The weird thing was the hoe had a "Case CK" decal on it but on the tag with the serial number it said 580 B, is that normal?
On the front loader found a place where it must have cracked and was welded and added some reinforcing plates top and bottom.
Still undecided on whether to get it or not.
Thanks

/ Looking at a Case 580B #3  
the case ck stickers might have meant case construction king. I think the the 580b was a good model, light to get around in the mud and haul. Have someone you know thats experienced check it over for you if can. As with any piece of equipment ,any brand, repairs can be costly.The 580b is getting enough age on it to inspect very thoughtfully. I hope it works out for you.Good Luck.

/ Looking at a Case 580B
Thanks for the help. The fact that this machine is a little lighter than say a 580C or newer model is one thing that interested me as i can easily move it with my current truck/trailer. I am going to try to find someone who knows more than me that can look it over. I still have not had a chance to operate it as the first time i looked at it i was on my lunch break and pressed for time and the second time i looked no one was home. Hopefully this week i can spend some time in the seat getting a feel for it and how loose it is.
Any other suggestions/comments?
Thanks

/ Looking at a Case 580B #5  
Did the 580 b check out? Just curious.My neighbor bought a 580c at auction for 6500.00 a couple weeks ago.He has already spent another 1000.00 on it so be careful and dont get in a hurry.His needed a rebuild on the fuel pump.Good luck.

/ Looking at a Case 580B
Haven't been able to get back to look at it again yet. I'm hoping Friday or Saturday to get enough time to go over it really well. I know that it is going to take some maintenance and upkeep being as old as it is, but i want to avoid a machine that has about 10 hours left in it before it is completely shot.

/ Looking at a Case 580B #7  
Yea it's lite enough to move and lite enough to have poor traction. Check the hoe lower mounting bolt area particularly well.

/ Looking at a Case 580B #8  
I have recently bought an 580B, one thing to check is the power shuttle operation and pressures. If this has been maintained they are good machines from what I have read. If the shuttle has issues the tractor needs to be split to repair. The newer models after the B are component built and the shuttle can be removed in a couple hours for service if needed.

Mine had a lot of foreign material plugging the shuttle pump pickup, after drilling a clean-out hole in the shuttle tube and flushing the trash out it works really well. I took a gamble on mine since it would not move in forward or reverse, when the selector was moved the pressure would drop. So I knew it was either plugged or bad pump. I got mine for $3K and runs well.:thumbsup:

HTH

Dave

Last edited:
   / Looking at a Case 580B #10  
Hi I have a case 580B backhoe serial # 526816 .It will not move forward no power.It will go fine in reveres thur all four gears.When I drain all fuid noticed water in oil change filers and new oil no help.From what I have read I think I need a rebuild power shuttle on mine.Does anyone have a manual showing how to spilt this tractor I would like to buy It from you.I found a case dealer that will rebuild the shuttle for 1800.00.They want 3500.00 to split and install it.I dont think the tractor is worth 6000. but would spend the 2000 for a rebuild shuttle if I can do the splitting. Thanks for any info I can get sexie tractor