Case 580 D

/ Case 580 D #1  

Anonymous Poster

I'm looking at a 580 D with an extenda hoe 5000 hrs. Looks clean Hasn't been powerwashed or repainted. What should I look for.

Thanks mikell

/ Case 580 D #2  
Going from my experience when I picked up a used 580E. Service records are a good place to start. Absent those, all the obvious stuff; water in the oil, water in the hyd. reservoir, cylinder leakage / bent, self leveling linkage, slop in the controls, tire wear. Then find some heavy stuff. Fill up the front bucket and try lifting it. Outriggers, found a bad pin holding the pad on, cracked through. For the B/H, we chained up an old 4 cylinder diesel, lifted and extended (finds leakdowns pretty quick). Check for cracks and welds on the lift arms, boom, etc. One aggravating thing lately is that the shuttle shifter creeps into reverse when using the B/H. The detent on the steering column is getting rounded out. So until it's fixed, every now and then I have to reach around and put it back into neutral. This list should help get you started. I'm sure the others will help lengthen it.

/ Case 580 D
Testing will be somewhat challenge because everything is frozen like a rock 4' deep. but a good time of year to buy.

mikell

/ Case 580 D #4  
"What should I look for."

A DEERE /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Case 580 D #5  
Seriously if a dealer has it and the fluids haven't been
changed I would make them cut all filters apart before u
seal deal.
4' of frost would only be a mild challenge.
Check for wear in the x hoe slide (not sure what this has)
and ALL cylinders for leaks and ram damage.
W/ this cold weather it should start up w/o ether, that tells
alot about motor condition.

/ Case 580 D
Well I bought the 580. 12500$ Started up no problem seemed to run fine. Used to a hyro unit to break up a gravel pile 2' chunks. Filled the loader slow because of the cold but lifted and held for 10 minutes or so. Didn't leak down but it was cold.The extendahoe worked fine and all gears worked smoothly. Front end had a little slop but I think it had alot of road miles tires we're fair. 30 day warranty so I'm not going to get it for about a month being I can't use it anyway. Where to ger a manual for it??

/ Case 580 D
Congrats on the backhoe. I like 580D's. If you can, post some pictures of it. As for manuals, who knows? LOL. I don't know, do you have a case dealership nearby? Would they possibly have a manual? Try ebay.

Blake
WA

/ Case 580 D #8  
Congrats and best of luck. I've sold mine (old international 280A extendahoe) but boy was it a lot of fun while I had it!! First project was just pushing over some trees I wanted to get rid of. Didn't even have to dig them out, just hit'em high with the hoe and push, uprooted the whole root ball! Case is a pretty popular unit around these parts

/ Case 580 D
Found a manual and service manual on line should arrive in the next week. 40 degrees here yesterday lots of people looking for equipment when I stopped by.

/ Case 580 D
Mike, is your backhoe for personal use around the house or for a company that you own?

Blake
WA