Perkins Diesel Cold Start Problem

/ Perkins Diesel Cold Start Problem #1  

wa5vpo

I just purchased a used ASV R-50 CTL with a Perkins DIesel 4 Cyl engine. It has about 1900 hours on it. When the outside temp is 60 degrees or above it starts in about 1 or 2 revolutions of the engine. If the temp is below 60 degrees, it takes 30 to 60 seconds or more before it will start. I got it from South Texas and I am afraid when it gets really cold here in Oklahoma, it won't ever start without burning up the starter. I have checked out the glow plugs and they seem OK. Any ideas on what the problem is? It appears to be firing during the start up process but just won't fire enough to keep running without the starter helping it.
Thanks for any ideas on what to look for.

/ Perkins Diesel Cold Start Problem #2  
Could be timing, faulty injectors or most likely low compression. Ken Sweet

/ Perkins Diesel Cold Start Problem #3  
I just purchased a used ASV R-50 CTL with a Perkins DIesel 4 Cyl engine. It has about 1900 hours on it. When the outside temp is 60 degrees or above it starts in about 1 or 2 revolutions of the engine. If the temp is below 60 degrees, it takes 30 to 60 seconds or more before it will start. I got it from South Texas and I am afraid when it gets really cold here in Oklahoma, it won't ever start without burning up the starter. I have checked out the glow plugs and they seem OK. Any ideas on what the problem is? It appears to be firing during the start up process but just won't fire enough to keep running without the starter helping it.
Thanks for any ideas on what to look for.

How did you check the plugs, at 1900 hours I would suspect that they are done for?
Did you check all the wiring in the plug system for good clean contacts, what is the amp draw, how long are you heating the plugs?

/ Perkins Diesel Cold Start Problem
I didn't check the plugs myself, I had a local dealer check them. He said they were heating ok. I had been heating them for 6 seconds according to the ASV manual but the dealer tech said I should be heating them for at least 20 seconds. That didn't seem to make any difference in how fast it started.

/ Perkins Diesel Cold Start Problem #5  
I didn't check the plugs myself, I had a local dealer check them. He said they were heating ok. I had been heating them for 6 seconds according to the ASV manual but the dealer tech said I should be heating them for at least 20 seconds. That didn't seem to make any difference in how fast it started.

Where plugs on tractor when checked - or did you remove them and take to dealer? If the latter, check the wiring to the plugs, as can affect if worn / bad connection.

Otherwise, check the ponts Ken Sweet mentions - on a perkins engine I'd agree that compression would be my #1 guess!

/ Perkins Diesel Cold Start Problem
The plugs were on the machine when the dealer tested them. Unfortunately it was a hot day when he had the machine and couldn't reproduce the problem. Looks like I may have to take it back to them this fall when it cools down. Its over 100 here in OK now and it starts just fine and runs like a purring kitten.
Thanks again for your ideas.

/ Perkins Diesel Cold Start Problem #7  
I will go with the glow plug theory. You can test the plug operation easily with an ammeter (initial 20 amps nominal for all four) or individually with an ohmeter.
Is there a record of how often, and when, the air filter was changed?

/ Perkins Diesel Cold Start Problem #8  
I will go with the glow plug theory. You can test the plug operation easily with an ammeter (initial 20 amps nominal for all four) or individually with an ohmeter.
Is there a record of how often, and when, the air filter was changed?

Hi Bob, agreed, test each plug individually for its current draw and record the results. each plug should draw 5 amps each.
Mike, S.

Stated the second round of chemo today, all the numbers were checked and checked again.

/ Perkins Diesel Cold Start Problem #9  
Best way to check the plugs is to take them out and test between the batt poles

1900 hrs is just broke in.

/ Perkins Diesel Cold Start Problem #10  
1900 hrs is just broke in.

Or just worn out. Depends on responsible ownership and maintenance practices. You would be amazed at how quickly you can trash a modern diesel through shoddy maintenance - ESPECIALLY THE AIR FILTER!