Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Perkins Diesel Cold Start Problem

I just purchased a used ASV R-50 CTL with a Perkins DIesel 4 Cyl engine. It has about 1900 hours on it. When the outside temp is 60 degrees or above it starts in about 1 or 2 revolutions of the engine. If the temp is below 60 degrees, it takes 30 to 60 seconds or more before it will start. I got it from South Texas and I am afraid when it gets really cold here in Oklahoma, it won't ever start without burning up the starter. I have checked out the glow plugs and they seem OK. Any ideas on what the problem is? It appears to be firing during the start up process but just won't fire enough to keep running without the starter helping it.
    Thanks for any ideas on what to look for.

Tractor
    JD 6403 CHA-JD 3130 CHA

Default Re: Perkins Diesel Cold Start Problem

Could be timing, faulty injectors or most likely low compression. Ken Sweet
    http://www.sweetfarms.com/

Sweet Farm Equipment LLC (Internet Sales, Shipping All States)
    Shipping Facility
    1815 Defries Rd., Canmer, Ky 42722 Toll Free 1-866-528-3323
    Ken Sweet sweet@scrtc.com

Shipping Example: Can ship 800 lbs from Ky. to Dallas for $165
    The Northeast shipping corridor is a little more expensive.

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by wa5vpo View Post
    I just purchased a used ASV R-50 CTL with a Perkins DIesel 4 Cyl engine. It has about 1900 hours on it. When the outside temp is 60 degrees or above it starts in about 1 or 2 revolutions of the engine. If the temp is below 60 degrees, it takes 30 to 60 seconds or more before it will start. I got it from South Texas and I am afraid when it gets really cold here in Oklahoma, it won't ever start without burning up the starter. I have checked out the glow plugs and they seem OK. Any ideas on what the problem is? It appears to be firing during the start up process but just won't fire enough to keep running without the starter helping it.
    Thanks for any ideas on what to look for.
    How did you check the plugs, at 1900 hours I would suspect that they are done for?
    Did you check all the wiring in the plug system for good clean contacts, what is the amp draw, how long are you heating the plugs?

I didn't check the plugs myself, I had a local dealer check them. He said they were heating ok. I had been heating them for 6 seconds according to the ASV manual but the dealer tech said I should be heating them for at least 20 seconds. That didn't seem to make any difference in how fast it started.

Tractor
    New Holland 50-86 / Siromer 204S / Case CK-28 / Cat 302.5 / Nissan L35.09 / Nissan Atleon 110

Quote Originally Posted by wa5vpo View Post
    I didn't check the plugs myself, I had a local dealer check them. He said they were heating ok. I had been heating them for 6 seconds according to the ASV manual but the dealer tech said I should be heating them for at least 20 seconds. That didn't seem to make any difference in how fast it started.
    Where plugs on tractor when checked - or did you remove them and take to dealer? If the latter, check the wiring to the plugs, as can affect if worn / bad connection.

Otherwise, check the ponts Ken Sweet mentions - on a perkins engine I'd agree that compression would be my #1 guess!
    Check out our website: http://localmotion-spain.co.uk

The plugs were on the machine when the dealer tested them. Unfortunately it was a hot day when he had the machine and couldn't reproduce the problem. Looks like I may have to take it back to them this fall when it cools down. Its over 100 here in OK now and it starts just fine and runs like a purring kitten.
    Thanks again for your ideas.

Tractor
    Yuchai Bulldozer

I will go with the glow plug theory. You can test the plug operation easily with an ammeter (initial 20 amps nominal for all four) or individually with an ohmeter.
    Is there a record of how often, and when, the air filter was changed?
    Yuchai 306R dozer, Mustang 2040 skid steer, Mitsubishi MS035 Mini-Ex with four buckets and a rake, Trimble equipped 7' Dual Dozer with twin GCR-2 laser receivers, and a LiTW BH7600 back hoe (sold).

Veteran Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Rooks View Post
    I will go with the glow plug theory. You can test the plug operation easily with an ammeter (initial 20 amps nominal for all four) or individually with an ohmeter.
    Is there a record of how often, and when, the air filter was changed?
    Hi Bob, agreed, test each plug individually for its current draw and record the results. each plug should draw 5 amps each.
    Mike, S.

Stated the second round of chemo today, all the numbers were checked and checked again.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    ASV 4810

Best way to check the plugs is to take them out and test between the batt poles

1900 hrs is just broke in.
    3 cockshutt 1855,1 cockshutt 1800.
    Belarus 800 and 925 .AC 940 whl ldr.Waldon 500 whl ldr.
    ASV 4810 tracksteer.
    4 GMC 2500 6.5/6.2 diesel trucks

Tractor
    Yuchai Bulldozer

Quote Originally Posted by Bison View Post
    1900 hrs is just broke in.
    Or just worn out. Depends on responsible ownership and maintenance practices. You would be amazed at how quickly you can trash a modern diesel through shoddy maintenance - ESPECIALLY THE AIR FILTER!
    Yuchai 306R dozer, Mustang 2040 skid steer, Mitsubishi MS035 Mini-Ex with four buckets and a rake, Trimble equipped 7' Dual Dozer with twin GCR-2 laser receivers, and a LiTW BH7600 back hoe (sold).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast