Steering Trouble 480 c

/ Steering Trouble 480 c #1  

FarmerPaul

Tractor
MF 285
My old Case just started giving me some trouble. Steering seems to work ok when moving at low speed 1st and 2nd gear. Occasionally it is hard to turn at low speed. The big problem is travelling down the road at speed. The wheel has to be turned constantly to the crown of the road . Occasionally it will seem to catch and cause oversteer.
Is it the steering mechanism ? Is it rebuildable by someone with average mechanical skills. Any help is appreciated.

/ Steering Trouble 480 c #2  
Sounds somewhat similar to the steering problems on my 580D. I had sometimes steering and sometimes nothing. I could also turn the steering wheel constantly with no relief "squeak." I had a steering cylinder with a blown piston seal. If that is your problem, a seal kit is pretty straightforward. Mark the hoses to their fittings, and remove from machine. Removing a couple of snap rings and pulling the ram out of the tube and your in. Unscrew the piston from the rod, and remove the "gland" (the bit of the cylinder the ram sticks out) Replace the gland seal, seals on the piston and slap er back together. HTH

/ Steering Trouble 480 c
Thanks for the help. Just got the same tip from another fellow. He told me that it it is a common problem on these machines.

Found a supplier on ebay for a rebuild kit for the steering cylinders $19 each and free shipping . looks like I have a small job to do .

/ Steering Trouble 480 c #4  
The gland seal is the one that's the hardest. I set all of em in the sun on a black surface. Hot water will do the same thing...Just don't cook em on the bottom of the pan.
A small flat blade screwdriver with worn or rounded edges will be your best friend.

Mark the hoses.... I had both tires turning opposite at one point. Any snags I will try to help.

/ Steering Trouble 480 c
Well my old hoe steers like a champ once again . I ordered a couple of seal kits of ebay for $19 each . Tore the 1st cylinder off and found it had been rebuilt before . The person who rebuilt it used a vice or vice grips fo remove the nut from the rod . The shaft was chewed badly . The shaft also had a pretty good wow in it . Rebuilt it any way .

Steering was a bit better . So I ordered a new aftermarket cylinder from ebay for around $180 shipped . It fit like a glove and the steering was greatly improved.

Last night I tore off the 2nd cylinder and with the help of my neighbour we rebuilt the last cylinder. We reinstalled it and he took it for a ride down the road in 4th gear :thumbsup:. Have not been able to do that in a while .

The wheel does not go around in circles anymore .

/ Steering Trouble 480 c #6  
Well done... it's a nice feeling to have one drive straight down the road again.