/ 1939 cat d6 #1  

rayfarms

Tractor
cat d6 1940
haven trouble getting into gear set for 15 years clutch is not stuck

/ 1939 cat d6 #2  

This is a joke, right?
Who would let an investment sit idle (and probably outdoors to boot) for fifteen years and expect it to start right up and run?
No doubt the oil film on the transmission main and counter shafts have given away to rust - same for the shift rails. Time to start yarding parts I think.

/ 1939 cat d6 #3  

My 1943 D7 has grease fittings on the clutch plate along the shaft. Even if the clutch is not stuck it might not be sliding freely on it's shaft. It also has a clutch brake that stops gear movement. Ask also on https://www.acmoc.org/.

Bob, Old Cats have been submerged for longer than 15 years & been sucessfully resurrected, no need to part out. MikeD74T

/ 1939 cat d6 #4  
My 1943 D7 has grease fittings on the clutch plate along the shaft. Even if the clutch is not stuck it might not be sliding freely on it's shaft. It also has a clutch brake that stops gear movement. Ask also on https://www.acmoc.org/.

Bob, Old Cats have been submerged for longer than 15 years & been sucessfully resurrected, no need to part out. MikeD74T
When I started working for Cat back in the day, seems that was what most of the work I did consisted of - making the old iron run again. But never ran across anything like you guys. Far back as I went, as I recall was mid-fifties. It's all kinda blurry...
When I said "yardin' parts", I meant take it apart - not part it out. :laughing:

/ 1939 cat d6
no not a joke bought it 3 yrs ago motor had bad sleeve and blown head gasket most things are not available for this cat had to get rod brgs made at machine shop setting outside and all stared right up just cant get it to go ingear when the engine is running shifts freely when not running start pony while in gear it tries to move when engage big engine but afaid of tearing up clutch on pony may not have bought it but i new the tractor in 70s undercarrage all rebuilt maybe 100 hrs put on it after that

/ 1939 cat d6 #6  
Late sixties/early seventies, company I worked for had a D6 of around that vintage. Every day we ran that beast, we had to start the day by greasing the clutch, else, it would soon go out. Not sure why but it happened enough that we knew to grease it. Nasty way to start the day for sure.

Touching one of those plug wires on the pony motor would leave you with a numb arm pretty much until about lunchtime, lol!

/ 1939 cat d6 #7  
My learning experience started with a friend saying "your dozer is leaving!" I had to run over & jump up onto a waist high moving track only to find the clutch lever still in the disengaged position. Held both steering clutches back to get things stopped & ultimately kicked open the compression release to stall the main engine. Investigation revealed the grease fittings on the clutch plate as well as the wornout facing on the clutch brake. MikeD74t

/ 1939 cat d6 #8  
There is probably a broken part aside from all of the bad fluids in it. My family bought a D8K that had been sitting for 8 years for 8500 bucks. We changed allthe fluids in it and cleaned everything out. We tried to start it but no luck. We thought it might be the transmission pump so we took a gamble and bought one for the machine. The machine started and the people who sold it to us nearly **** themselves. We made 30000 on that project. Since your machine is so old, I would think you should buy a newer used one. The parts are hard to find and expensive. Plus you don't know how serious the problem is. Its a big gamble.

/ 1939 cat d6 #9  
.....Since your machine is so old, I would think you should buy a newer used one. The parts are hard to find and expensive. Plus you don't know how serious the problem is. Its a big gamble.

Most that own antique machinery do so because it's old. MikeD74T

/ 1939 cat d6 #10  
We have an antique Cat D7. It runs but not well. We dont buy parts for it, though. See we have 130 antique trucks and equipment ( which are mostly macks so the parts are on the cheaper side) , but its really hard to maintain so we only buy the cheaper parts.