My farm construction business is growing, recommendations on equipment?

/ My farm construction business is growing, recommendations on equipment? #11  
I'd buy a BobCat T250 or T300. Awesome machines and plenty of weight. I'm not a fan of wheeled skid steers. Too bouncy! Lol!

Like overs have said you can attach nearly anything to the bobcat. Plus BobCat brand uses Kubota Diesels!

Good luck!

/ My farm construction business is growing, recommendations on equipment? #12  
So it sounds like a skid steer would be an ideal machine. Just need to decide on the type and size. I've spent many hours running 753 and 763 bobcats and they seem to be pretty capable as far as the dirt work goes. What I'm not sure of is if that size machine would be good for handling my post driver (1100lb), and setting trusses?

I can get a new S150 (comparable to old 763) for under $25K. I don't know a whole lot about other brands of skid steers, but I'm open to suggestions.

Congratulations to you on the business development! :thumbsup:

Lots of good input here. Keep us updated on your success.

Are you around Washington co. by chance?

/ My farm construction business is growing, recommendations on equipment?
I would a little bigger. Like the 175 or 185 size.

Based on what tasks? As far as I know the S150 and 175 are the same machine just with different boom setups. Operating weight is within a couple hundred pounds, lift capacity is a bit more on the vertical lift path machines. The only vertical lift skid steer I've ever run was a very old New Holland L425, so that isn't much of a comparison. Maybe I don't know what I'd missing out on having never really used a vertical lift machine?

I'd buy a BobCat T250 or T300. Awesome machines and plenty of weight. I'm not a fan of wheeled skid steers. Too bouncy! Lol!

Like overs have said you can attach nearly anything to the bobcat. Plus BobCat brand uses Kubota Diesels!

Good luck!

I'm going to stick with a wheel machine, most of my use won't require tracks, and what does it sounds like over the tire tracks would be great. If money were no object then I might go for one of those machines, but unfortunately it still is, lol.

Congratulations to you on the business development! :thumbsup:

Lots of good input here. Keep us updated on your success.

Are you around Washington co. by chance?

Thanks. I'm actually in the New River Valley area, Montgomery, Pulaski and Floyd counties.

Hopefully the success will continue. My overhead is very low so one big job would generate enough profit to buy a new machine. Keeping my fingers crossed.

/ My farm construction business is growing, recommendations on equipment? #14  
Based on what tasks? As far as I know the S150 and 175 are the same machine just with different boom setups. Operating weight is within a couple hundred pounds, lift capacity is a bit more on the vertical lift path machines. The only vertical lift skid steer I've ever run was a very old New Holland L425, so that isn't much of a comparison. Maybe I don't know what I'd missing out on having never really used a vertical lift machine?

Everything.

A 175 has almost 1000 lbs more tipping load than a 150. That is the number that counts when you are going to use it as a crane.

A vertical lift machine really shines when lifting and using the boom pole. I wouldn't own another radial lift machine.

/ My farm construction business is growing, recommendations on equipment? #15  
The tracked machines just do a great job of leveling, etc. Plus they ride way smoother. But I understand about the budget.

With that being said I would want the large frame Bobcat and not the medium frame... Especially when using a boom pole! Skidsteers are already notoriously tippy! Good luck!

/ My farm construction business is growing, recommendations on equipment? #16  
I build barns, fences do grading and all kinds of other stuff. I purchased a Bobcat A300 in 2004. And have been happy with it. Nice to be able to steer the wheels when running through pastures without tearing the grass up. I also purchased a hydraulic boom for it from Sheyenne Manuf. I believe and have also been pleased.

I have a JCB 212 backhoe that I use to dig footers and do some clearing. Its a nice little machine but a bit heavy and gets used more around the house. Wish someone would come along and want to buy it.

Good to hear from others in my business. The AWS units look nice but I bet they are spendy.

In the coming months I'm going to rent a few different models and test their capabilities. I don't have any more big barn projects coming up until next spring, but I can hang a few hundred pounds of tractor weights off the jib crane to see how they perform. The ability to set trusses is my main concern with any skid steer, I think all the other tasks could be easily handled by most. I'll definitely take a look at the S175, also see how the additional counter-weight kits affect ROC on the S150.

Thanks for everyone's input, as I posted in the first post I'm also getting ready to buy a trailer. Based on the skid steer recommendations I think I'll go with an 18', 6-ton equipment trailer. Should be heavy duty enough to haul most skid steers plus an attachment or two, also long enough for my tractor and bush hog.

Any more input is also welcome, I'll try to update this thread as things progress. :thumbsup:

/ My farm construction business is growing, recommendations on equipment? #18  
I have done very similar tasks with all sorts of machinery and a Skid steer is definitely the ticket to the right machine. That being said, lift capacity is a huge part of it all. The S175 lifts around 1700 lbs. which in reality isn't very much. When my step mom was in teh market for a used skid steer, lift capacity was the on top of the list. In research, we found that John Deere offers the best lift capacity in the CTL division over most every other brand. So in turn she got a CT322. Here are some listed on Machinery trader for a good price.

DEERE CT322, Used DEERE CT322, DEERE CT322 For Sale At MachineryTrader.com - Page 1

The CT322 lifts close to 2 ton, I have maxed it out before at that. The tractive effort is incredible. On Monday I used it on a job to clean out an arena that was buried from 1'-2' in manure. This was a build up over many years and it was very packed down. So I started off, the CT322 weights in at around 4 ton which provides incredible tractive effort and makes it almost unstoppable. i pushed through the spots that were 1' deep like it wasnt even there, i pushed some 50' before taking a scoop, it did not stop. The tracks also offer a smooth ride and make it very effective at grading uneven terrain. It has plenty of hydraulic GPM to power your post tamper as well as run a PA30 PHD in hard clay. The arena job took me 5 hours, I also scraped out an aisle way as well. IMO Deere also has the best roll back on their buckets, you can hold bigger loads without loosing them on the way. The visibility all around is great, i love the lower back window, it makes backing into places a lot easier. The 66hp engine is actually very quiet, the more throttle it gets, the quieter it gets. I know i am sounding like a sales man trying to sell you on the CT322, but this is just out of my great experience with one. It will out do an S150 as well as a S175, even a T190. Try one out and see what you think about it. :thumbsup::)

Attachments

• IMG_0130.JPG
    IMG_0130.JPG
    195.8 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0132.JPG
    IMG_0132.JPG
    237.2 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_0140.JPG
    IMG_0140.JPG
    205.9 KB · Views: 182
  • IMG_0143.JPG
    IMG_0143.JPG
    333.1 KB · Views: 186
Just when I think I have this figured out....

So I was at the Kubota dealer this morning getting some parts and they had a new MX4700, 4wd, HST, R4 tires, LA844 loader, there that looked like a pretty useful little machine. Loader specs are similar to the size skid steers I'm looking at, although the hyd. flow is less. Fully ballasted with R4 tires it would weigh about 6500lbs, has a 72" bucket, lifts 2400lbs to 111"

Anyways, just for the sake of discussion how would one of these work out for my operation? I think for most of the tasks it would be as good, maybe better at some, than a skid steer. More stable on the steep hills, easy to use my post driver with, plenty of stability/size to use the jib crane, etc. I think it'd probably run a skid steer type hydraulic auger decently enough for the limited amount I'd be using it, most sheds I build require anywhere from 6 to 24 holes.

Where I'm least sure about this setup would be for site prep and leveling building pads. The cost of the tractor is about $2K less than the skid steer which would buy a nice commercial duty 7' box blade. How efficiently would this combo be at moving soil in a cut/fill situation making a level building pad? I know the loader wouldn't dig nearly as well as the skid steer, but a box blade that size you're moving about 3/4yd per pass. Thoughts?

Just trying to weigh out every available option here :thumbsup:

/ My farm construction business is growing, recommendations on equipment? #20  
Just say no. A tractor fel is just not built for digging, it's for chores and loading, a big difference. It looks like 95% of your respondants vote for the SS, I do too. I have had a bunch of 'em and have worked my way up to the biggest one made. 110 hp and 10,000 lbs and just shy of 12' lift with a 55" wheelbase. (Gehl 7800) Bobcat now makes a machine that looks like a real challenger in that class SS but they are to new to find any used ones. The Gehl's 7800/7600 have been around for long enough that they are not hard to find used. Don't be afraid of used, I traded my Deere 260 SS on the Gehl used at 600 hrs or so, now at 1500 and no prob. I do all the same things that you said that you will require of your machine and IMO it's the best all round tool for those jobs.
The drawback of this machine is that is not the same as your std. SS, It wont fit between the fenders of a trlr. (with the spacers for OTT tracks) and like I said, it's 5ton weight kinda puts you into a deck over trlr @ 14.000 gvw min. I built a 93" wide tooth bucket for it (1" wider than the SS) and it will fill it every time for your dirt work jobs. I also built a jib pole (stealing ideas from the Sheyann unit) and set trusses with it and it also makes a great rope swing over the pond! Good luck