Case 580 Hydraulic Cylinder seal replacement

/ Case 580 Hydraulic Cylinder seal replacement #1  

TommyTee

Tractor
Case 580
I just purchased a 1970 Case 580 and I'm performing my first (of 6 needed) seal replacement. The cylinder I started with is the tilt. I purchased a seal kit and the only parts in the kit for the gland that are associated with the 1 1/2" shaft are 1 seal and 1 wiper (see photo). The old parts included these 2 and also an "O" ring and another seal both of which were down inside the gland. 1) Am I missing parts in my new kit or has there been a change? 2) Also, note the orientation of the seal in the photo. This is how the old seal was in there. This is the opposite of grease seals I have replaced in the past. Is the picture correct or was the old part put in incorrectly? Thanks, Tommy

Attachments

• Case 580-Tilt Gland.JPG
    Case 580-Tilt Gland.JPG
    575.3 KB · Views: 2,307
   / Case 580 Hydraulic Cylinder seal replacement #2  
I got a seal kit for my '79 480C's left, tilt cylinder back June, through Case. There was a difference in the kits, whether a 1 piece piston, or two piece. I'm not sure what that difference is... Mine is a 1 piece, and it had extra pieces to fit two different sized grooves in the piston. The kit also had the rest of the parts, matching what was in it.

Whoever you got it through, I'd bounce them about it...

/ Case 580 Hydraulic Cylinder seal replacement
*DJ54* - The seal kits I have where provided by the person I purchased the 580 from and I have no idea where he got them. *Scott* - thanks for the link, I'll check it out. *DJ54 & Scott* - Do either of you have anything you can comment on in regards to the correct direction of the insertion of the seal? (see photo and comment in previous post) Thanks, Tommy T

/ Case 580 Hydraulic Cylinder seal replacement #5  
The dirt wiper pictured is pointed correctly for installation. The wear ring in the pic doesn't seem to have a direction. The gland seal not pictured should be pointed toward the piston.

Scott, I checked the bag again and found a couple parts stuck together so I now have the gland seal. How do you get it down inside the gland without damaging the seal?

/ Case 580 Hydraulic Cylinder seal replacement #7  
Very carefully... Seriously, it's easier to get them in there if they are warm... I set mine on a dark surface in the sun for awhile... Double boiler in water would also work well. They are a bit more flexible warm. After they are warmed up, I just got one side kinda mashed up in there and worked it around. The bigger cylinders are not bad after the first time. The small steering cylinders require considerable patience but are also doable.

Thanks Scott, that sounds like a good approach. I read in a couple other forums last night that many seal kits come with instructions/illustrations. Mine didn't. Bummer. I appreciate your input Scott. Tommy

Scott, I'd like to bug you with a couple more questions and then I hope I'll be ready to "reassemble". 1) The way I understand what you have told me, the orientation of the inner and outer seals in attached photos are correct. Is that right? 2) Look closely at the inner seal shown in the photo. Did yours have a lip on the outside edge like the one shown? I kind of thought it would be flat like the inside of the gland where it is to go. Thanks again for all your input. Tommy

Attachments

• Case 580-Tilt Gland-2.JPG
    Case 580-Tilt Gland-2.JPG
    563.3 KB · Views: 11,304
   / Case 580 Hydraulic Cylinder seal replacement #10  
You've got it... I checked a kit I have waiting on a round tuit and the seal looks the same as pictured. The Case kits do come with instructions. The aftermarket steering cylinder kits I got did not. I checked the parts diagrams on Case's website before I started those.
CASE

I have a shop manual but seeing the diagrams also helps greatly. It's also handy to talk to the parts counter about things when both people are looking at the same picture. HTH