ASV/Terex is killing my business!

/ ASV/Terex is killing my business! #41  
Ailamer,
Hey just curious whom is "Super trac" ?
ASV has had problems since they went into masticating. Poor Cab air quality actually cause a mandatory retirement with 70% loss of lung function. The problem is they have some poor dealers whom just want to sell. Secondly, they have great attorneys that run you out of money in litigation. Masticating is a hard business. Super trac did a good job but could not make it.

Being a mechanical engineer I was able to modify many of the problems with the PT100 Forestry. BUt, a machine not built for masticating will never perform like a true machine built for the specific purpose. The problem is most of the forestry machines are huge and do not work in the urban interface.

T am now thinking a large mini excavator with a masticator head could be the answer. Less "ground movement with 20+ foot wide swath width. With a 6 way blade you could build "mini pads" to work off on much steeper slopes. The efficiency of a 36" head with ample hydraulic HP vs an underpowered 72" or 84" head provides much more efficiency. The answer might be a aux hydraulic power unit on the counterweight with a 100 hp power pack. (just like the big machines). A long stick with the additional weight would cover a lot of ground. The problem I see is the ROPS must be rated for the weight of the Power Unit ,Machine and Masticator Head. This is hard to find. A structural engineer can certify it without destructive testing if you can find one.

Lastly, most of the big forestry companies have went to aftermarket cab pressurization. You also must do the same. This will require an oversize alternator and a/c compressor. Red Dot makes some very good units for spray cabs. If you run the Fed Dot Equipment off the Aux Power Unit it works well by the numbers. BUt, remember. a machine not built with a tight cab for spraying or forestry will be 2x to 4x looser than a true forestry machine". Therefore, oversize the a/c and pressurization blower.

We plan to build such a machine next winter based upon a Kubota KX 040 and a 100 HP APU. The 6 way blade on the KN 040 is as functional as a new Cat D-3. The machine is solid and everything is accessible. We will build a custom swing away 1 1/4" lexan front shield, install cyclone pre filters, reversing radiator fan and seal up the shell penetrations with an 3/32" stainless screen. We may also build a 1 1/2" schedule 80 protection cage to protect the lightweight fiberglass body panels. This is the best "adaptable"machine we have found so far.

We have even ran the numbers on a boom mounted winch and grapple. This 10,000 lb machine could be a mini Barto of the future. But it will be a three year project. I have not seen how receptive Kubota Engineering will be to bolt on modifications to their machine.as.

Call me if you have any suggestions.

JonRemalia 530 640 3473

/ ASV/Terex is killing my business! #42  
Look into the Deere 329e or 333e. Very good units.