ASV/Terex is killing my business!

/ ASV/Terex is killing my business! #1  

Bill Tallman

Tractor
ASV PT-100 Forestry
Does anyone know of a good solid dependable machine that has the versatility of a skid steer and the slope work capabilities of an Aebi Terratrac. Ive been in business since 2003, our primary work is about 60% slope mowing, 30% brush and tree mowing and 10% site work.

I have owned several ASV RC 60 and 100's. Never had any luck with any of them. 2 years ago I had two machines running every day, the warranties were up and I struggled to keep them operating, seemed like there was always something, constant overheating, hydraulic leaks from the loader valve assembly, engine Intake manifold, drive motors etc. Bottom line 2009 I spent over $23,000.00 by September of that year on repairs that year, (If I had a crystal ball, I could have bought 2 brand new 100's and it would have been cheaper) I owned the 60 out right and about half the value of the 100 was paid for, needless to say with the hours around 2000 each, and the problems they were having.... I was upside down. I had contracts, with liquidated damages that needed to be finished up before snow fall, and was already about a month behind because of down time due to repairs.

You would think....... I'da learned!!
Salesman says to me... tell you what, we have just what you need, and I'll give you a deal I wouldn't give my own Daddy! (Right...you know that guy).. Ok bud go on...I'm all ears. They (ASV) came out with this new model, it's perfect for what you do, just what you need. The new and improved ASV-PT-100-Forestry unit, with all the bells and whistles, this will solve all your problems, It'll crawl across water, climb the tallest mountain, shred the biggest tree, keep you safer than a Black Bear Cub on Momma's back!
Thank God..........Finally. I was so frustrated and stuck, contemplated just closing shop. I cant do that though that's not in my character, so says I lets talk. Dont have one in stock, let me see what I can find. Next day we got you one, come on down lets do the paper work (of course I'm up-side down) sign my life away again, traded in the Old ASV's for my "Savior" The Brand spankin' new PT-100-Forestry, The next Monday I'm mobilizing to my next site (gotta lotta catching up to do), The next month the machine was back & forth from my sites to the dealer for hydraulic leaks, bad seals, fittings, pin holes in tubing etc. Then, The track falls off ( on the same slopes I've been mowing with ASV's since 2003), then it over heats, the track falls off again, then it over heats. Back & forth we go from site to dealer, meanwhile the dealer is kind enough to give me a loaner So at least I can try and catch up. These tracks were messed up, dealer took pictures of the Inside of each track under the cab, There was a 1/2" wide strip of rubber missing all the way around kinda like someone unzipped it! Nope not ASV/ Trerex problem (mind you I have done nothing but mow grass with it so far) I try to tell the Dealers mechanic, there is something wrong with the tracks, they keep falling off and this only happened with my other machines maybe once or twice since 2003. And they had about 2000 hours on them when it did.
Nobody wants to hear it, They are however focused on the Overheating problem, they say gotta clean the radiator better. I use the Red Max leaf blower to clean them off every day as I have since 2003. So I bought a 3500 psi power washer, and A portable air compressor for the truck, cause they said thats what I need. Guess what....still overheated. They finally approved replacing the radiator. Brand new out of the box, it fails the air flow test ( it's lower than what the spec is) Well try it anyway and lets see what happens. Think that worked?.....think again.

So here I am today, almost 2 years later, warranty is up on the machine, track fell off this past month put me in a bind, lost 1/2 the lugs getting down from the slope to load it up. Guess who has to buy the new track, and the other one is almost there too, with no more room to tighten cause it's at it's max.
Gotta say they are still working on the overheating issue, piece by piece, they just replaced the thermostat, and put a new belt on but the fitting for the reversible fan failed so it was not cleaning at all. Overheated!

Luckily, I still have the same customers, but also have the same contracts with liquidated damages if the work does not get completed and I lose my bonds.
This week I e-mailed ASV/Terex and copied the Dealership, requesting a determination as to what the plan was, next step. Still no reply!

So any advice anyone can give would be greatly appreciated, I am down to Myself and two ground men for a work force. I cant even think about expanding until I find a dependable comparable machine. Called the dealer today, going to pick it up Monday morning to try again.

Praying for a Miracle!
Bill

/ ASV/Terex is killing my business! #2  
Man I feel your pain.The guys in the Landclearing Forums are having similar problems with ASV. As for tracks comming off,have you checked the track frame alinment. Maybe there is an issue than you can throw back to ASV.A mate of mine had the same problem with a Cat 279 and the frames were 2ins out of alinment and they are the same tracks as the PT100.

/ ASV/Terex is killing my business! #3  
Great...I just bought a used ASV 70 today with 1355 hrs on it....

/ ASV/Terex is killing my business! #5  
I've got a brand new PT-100G for sale on equipment trader online.
The only thing that got Terex's attention for me was the threat of a law suit.

I've got a Fecon ftx90 that is doing me a good job, but I don't know if it would work for your business.

Good luck,
Andy

/ ASV/Terex is killing my business!
tonyoz: We had the unit up on blocks about a month ago with the dealers mechanic. It did seem a little out of whack but we only aligned the bogey wheels, not the frame. The back (inside) of the track was sagging about 2" while the outside was tight. The mechanic said no way that could cause the track to fall off! Would you happen to know how you check the framework?

fixemall: Good luck, the smaller machines seem a little better, I had a 60 and the tracks never fell off of that!

Bison: I hear ya! Not a club I want to be part of any longer!

redprospector: I am so close tp a lawsuit, but want to avoid it if I can. Thanks for the thought on the Fecon, little too heavy for sideways slope work, and not versatile enough but thanks for the thought.

capt met: I looked into the Kut KwicK a while back, it would be great for the slope mowing but not versatile enough. Maybe I should put one on... just for the slope mowing and get a Cat for the other work.

trailbuilder: this unit has about 1150 hrs now! What are you thinking?

/ ASV/Terex is killing my business! #9  
Bill,

Any word from ASV? I talked to a rep at a logging show a few months back and we were standing in front of the new PT100G. He was raving about how good it was. I must say it did look good all new and shiney but as we talk and I shared my past experience and he took a step toward me and said..you might want to wait a few months they are still working on a few issues... I do believe they are trying and maybe the new pt100g is better but it's hard to have any faith after so many stories.

As for the best machine?? My Takeuchi tracks on the last job i was on (lots of stumps, rocks) I was happy if they didn't fall off EVERY DAY! and I'm not kidding...everyday. I am on my 3rd set of tracks at 1200 hrs. I tried some cheapo tracks after burning through the stock ones at 650 hrs, they lasted 350 hours and the metal bars started to break. They my dealer has some "good quality" after market tracks and they stared falling off the first week and are to soft, so now 200 hours later they are just about done.

Hope things are getting better for you.

/ ASV/Terex is killing my business! #10  
My machine is in the 600 hour range and has served me well so far. I did understand that the tracks last 1,000 hours and tracks and undercarriage replacement are $10,000. that is $10/hr so I just billed it into my rate.
It sounds like yours is at the end of it track life...but may have some other issues?

tonyoz: We had the unit up on blocks about a month ago with the dealers mechanic. It did seem a little out of whack but we only aligned the bogey wheels, not the frame. The back (inside) of the track was sagging about 2" while the outside was tight. The mechanic said no way that could cause the track to fall off! Would you happen to know how you check the framework?

fixemall: Good luck, the smaller machines seem a little better, I had a 60 and the tracks never fell off of that!

Bison: I hear ya! Not a club I want to be part of any longer!

redprospector: I am so close tp a lawsuit, but want to avoid it if I can. Thanks for the thought on the Fecon, little too heavy for sideways slope work, and not versatile enough but thanks for the thought.

capt met: I looked into the Kut KwicK a while back, it would be great for the slope mowing but not versatile enough. Maybe I should put one on... just for the slope mowing and get a Cat for the other work.

trailbuilder: this unit has about 1150 hrs now! What are you thinking?