What's that loader?

/ Old Mack Trucks
We have one autocar and the old loader is a cat HT4

Last edited:
   / Old Mack Trucks #24  
Any Marmon's, Autocar, or Diamond T's?

Hey, I saw a White Western Star. :confused2:

What's that loader?

White and Western Star are 2 different manufacturers, always have been. White motors (originally from Cleveland) and Western Star shared components but that's it. Western Star was in Kolona, British Columbia.

White was a fleet truck whereas Western Star was an owners operators truck.

White became Freightliner, a truck originally speicified by the owners of Consolidated Freightways. Of course Freightliner is now owned by Diamler/Mercedes Benz as well as Western Star and both are made in Portland, Oregon. Freightliner is the fleet truck and Western Star is the OO truck even both share components and drivetrains.

Of course Mack is no longer Mack, Allentown, Pa. It's now Vo-Mack, owned by Volvo.

I know a raft of Mack jokes, non of which are acceptable for this forum.....:D

Mack poineered the inline 6, high torque rise, direct injected, turbocharged diesel along with a neat V8, but the V8 was expensive to work on. I know, I had one.

/ Old Mack Trucks
We plan on trying to restore as many as possible. It's just hard because the economy is so bad.

/ Old Mack Trucks #27  
:D

Mack poineered the inline 6, high torque rise, direct injected, turbocharged diesel along with a neat V8, but the V8 was expensive to work on. I know, I had one.

I hear NOTHING out there could touch an E9... :)

/ Old Mack Trucks #28  
When I was a kid, my dad and his brother had a contracting business. They had an old, I mean really old Mack dump truck that had chain drive and the bed of the dump was hand cranked up with a winch.

Noisyist **** thing you ever heard and it rode like... well... a Mack!

My dad worked at Mack on the firetruck assembly line in about 1918.

/ Old Mack Trucks #29  
White and Western Star are 2 different manufacturers, always have been. White motors (originally from Cleveland) and Western Star shared components but that's it. Western Star was in Kolona, British Columbia.
Well dang me! When I was a test driver for PACCAR in the mid '70's, PACCAR shared a test track in Madras, OR (a converted WWll B-25 airstrip) with Freightliner, and I will swear on my mother's grave that there were White Western Star trucks down there that were very utilitarian. Look at the yellow one in the collage. It's obvious that they would share components, most all trucks do except Mack: Chassis & frames by Parrish; engines by Cat, Cummins, et al.; transmissions by Eaton, Fuller; axles by Eaton, Timken; brakes by Wagner, Bendix; steering by Saginaw, Eaton; radiators by Harrison, Young; Instruments by AC Delco, Stewart Warner; suspension by Hendrickson, Reyco, et al; and the list goes on. The only things actually manufactured by the truck "manufacturers" was the cab and wiring harnesses. Even IH (before Navistar) had their cabs built by the Budd Body Co. Mack was the exception (except for the Budd cab) whereas it built it's own engines, axles, frames/chassis, suspension, and transmissions in-house

White was a fleet truck whereas Western Star was an owners operators truck.
White became Freightliner, a truck originally speicified by the owners of Consolidated Freightways.
"Con Freight" owned Freightliner since it's inception in the '30's. Consolidated Freightways - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

See White Western Star trucks here: white western star trucks - Google Search

And FWIW, those cool '55 - '57 Ford T-Birds we all love had their bodies manufactured by Budd as well.: D

/ Old Mack Trucks
That is so cool. I would have loved to build Macks when they were Macks.