Old Mack Trucks

/ Old Mack Trucks #61  
A freind of mine owns this one,he still makes a living with it.

Attachments

• mack.JPG
    mack.JPG
    278.8 KB · Views: 2,354
   / Old Mack Trucks #63  
You may can help me with a Mack number, I saw one on an old site it was a CB14 Ithink was the number. It was a stubby little truck with slanted down hood and a dump on the back single axle rig.

I hated it when my neighbor died and his sone scrapped the old trucks wouldnt sell them unless they were mangled. He cut up an old WHite Halftrack and several other trucks minus the few I managed to get saved.

A few years ago when the landfill I run was bought out the new owner doesnt spare any expense on maintenance. He started his business in 1972 and told dad to spare no expense on the 72 roll off. It was a steel nose DM that spent its early years as a mixer truck and had the rust to prove it. Dad had Olen Parsons go through it and they went to Calhoun MS and picked up a 78 DM steel nose floatation axle DM that was a mixer converted to a 5th wheel for a cab donor. On the way back when we stopped to get dinner Mr. Olen told dad he wasnt cuttin such a tight truck for a cab. He stretched it and we put another rolloff on it. We found another cab for the 72 and changed them to fiberglass noses.

I saved all the radiators tanks and fenders and hoods from the change over. I want a steel nose DM one day. We run 2 stick six speeds in the 2 oldertrucks and the 89 model has a six with a button.

/ Old Mack Trucks #64  
First truck I ever drove was a Mack, and that was the last Mack I ever drove. They just don't become part of fleet trucks around here. Had to relearn to shift when I went to a 10spd from that old 5.
David from jax

/ Old Mack Trucks #65  
sandman2234,

"Had to relearn to shift when I went to a 10spd from that old 5"

:laughing::laughing: I came up and learned on a 5x4 spicer,(short stick at the back of the cab) The Macks were a step up with the levers tall enough to see the road while you shifted.
My problem when they came out with one stick and a button (or two), was ---- what to do with the free hand?
Finally caught on that you could hang on to the wheel with it.;)

Nice collection --- brings back some fond memories

-J.C.-

/ Old Mack Trucks #66  
Check out bigmacktrucks.com there ain't no better than a Mack truck in my opinion. I don't own one yet but would like to get and restore a Mack B model in the near future.

/ Old Mack Trucks #67  
One I forgot to mention a rarer Mack I saw a friend named Bill Gatlin owns. He has a retored Plum colored Bmodel he delivers oil dry on. He also has a few fire trucks but the Rare one is a Mack pickup frm the late 30s. looks different.

/ Old Mack Trucks #68  
10-4 I was. Also went to the Mack Museum-first time I have been to the new location-if you haven't been there, go-much better then the old location. And I came away feeling better aboiut Mack's future as I have felt that at some point the bean counters at Volvo will say..."why do we have all this duplication" and pull the plug. that danger grows in my opinion as we "old guys" get too old to still be buying trucks. Mack-and I guess you can say the same for all brands- is very dependant on its loyal customer base.
I moved out of that area over three years ago so I guess the last time I was there was for the 2007 show. Where is the new museum at?

Sorry to hijack the thread John Deere 55, you do have a nice collection.

Anyone know if that truck yard is still up on Montana Mountain in New Jersey? I think the name might have been Kober's. Probably been over twenty years since I last wondered around that yard. I would get some parts from the regular car and truck yard then wonder around the truck yard for an hour or so.

/ Old Mack Trucks #69  
I moved out of that area over three years ago so I guess the last time I was there was for the 2007 show. Where is the new museum at?

Sorry to hijack the thread John Deere 55, you do have a nice collection.

Anyone know if that truck yard is still up on Montana Mountain in New Jersey? I think the name might have been Kober's. Probably been over twenty years since I last wondered around that yard. I would get some parts from the regular car and truck yard then wonder around the truck yard for an hour or so.
The new museum location is in the Mack Customer Center which is closer to downtown Allentown-and the small airport as opposed to the big airport which is out off Rt. 22. The complex besides the museum I believe serves as a technical center and it is also the mod facility where trucks built in the Macungie plant get special equipment added to them. Worth a visit if you are ever in the Allentown area-just check the Mack website for museum hours.

/ Old Mack Trucks #70  
I've always liked trucks, maybe because of growing up and watching "Movin' On".

I have posted about them here before... The guys up in New Jersey that have an original "BJ and the Bear" truck, a replica of the same, and the only known surviving "Movin On" truck.

Then three is the guys that built a replica "Convoy" Mack. He found the remains of two of the trucks used in the movie, and was able to salvage a few parts. So, his truck, is a mix of replica and "real movie truck" parts. He also found the tank trailer used for the movie.

And there is a guy that has the remaining "Duel" truck. Repowered, but painted to look like the original movie.

TV Truckin

Homepage of the New Convoy Rubber Duck Truck Website

Not the current owner, but a lot of info and pictures
The Surviving Duel Truck - Specs