Excavator thumb decision

/ Excavator thumb decision #2  
   / Excavator thumb decision #3  
In brief, is the pin-on or weld-on thumb preferred for a mini-excavator?
I vote for the weld-on unit because it will act as a stiffener for the jib, and not add additional stresses to the bucket pivot pin. Only down side I see is a few more pounds weight.

/ Excavator thumb decision
Thanks for the responses. The fact that factory thumbs are often pin on, several new machines come with the mounting flanges for pin-ons already installed, and pin-ons are more expensive yet retain a good part of the market made me wonder what their advantages were.

By coincidence, I saw some grapple attachments for moving stones logs, and brush. I had not thought of a grapple before. My main application will be moving logs and brush. A bucket with a thumb vs. a grapple seem similar, and the grapple (with a rotating base) may put less torque on the boom.

Any comments or experience related to grapples?

John

/ Excavator thumb decision #6  
The pin on will give you a better range of grip because the "thumb" follows the bucket in it's arc better. This all is guessing that you are talking about a hyd vs. ridgid unit.

/ Excavator thumb decision
Both the pin-on and weld-on thumbs will be hydraulic. The grapple option will also be hydraulic. My excavator has auxiliary hydraulics already. If I get a swivel grapple, I was thinking of using the curl hydraulics for one function and the auxiliary for the other.

The better grip is exactly the biggest advantage I have read for the pin-on thumb. How important is that?

John

Edit: This is what I am considering, but from the USA, not UK:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/GRAPPLE-SUI...on_Tools_ET&hash=item2eb7e1c722#ht_720wt_1125

Last edited:
   / Excavator thumb decision #8  
I think for just general thumb work, a weld on is nice and simple and prolly a bit kinder to the lower end of your dipper. If you plan on a lot of,say rock placement, the pin mount might have an advantage. Splittin' hairs here.

/ Excavator thumb decision #9  
   / Excavator thumb decision #10  
The thumb and bucket move together? That would be just like a clamshell, almost. :confused:
With "pin on" the pin being the bucket pin and the point that the bucket rotates on. This would also be the same pin that the grapple would rotate on and naturally "follow" the bucket better than an attachment point several inches or more (up) the dipper arm. I agree that there will be some added stress with the pin on type. But yes, like a clamshell.