Case 580K new owner questions

/ Case 580K new owner questions #1  

caver

Veteran Member
Tractor
Fisher Price, toddlers first tractor.
First question, five minutes running it, after they delivered it, one of the loader dump hoses popped a hole in it. Funny too as I had noticed a "booger" right where it blew when I looked at it before purchase.

The local small town auto parts store say they can probably make one. When the hose is removed will it tend to siphon or leak a bunch of hydraulic fluid out?

Any comparative brands of hydraulic fluid that I can buy in small town America? Dealer said Hytran Ultra compatible. I didn't loose that much fluid but want to have some on hand in case more leaks out during the hose replacement.

Another question, does the exhaust stack need to be covered? I assume not. This backhoe may reside outside until I can get it in my shed or build a bigger one.
I may ask more questions.....drawing a blank right now.

/ Case 580K new owner questions
Hose replaced, had a heck of a time getting one fitting loose. May need to buy some flare nut wrenches. I had had some hyd fluid for the Kioti that was Case compatible so used it.

/ Case 580K new owner questions #3  
Another question, does the exhaust stack need to be covered? I assume not.
What? I would assume SO, unless it had at least a 45 degree bend w/slash cut or a rain cap.

/ Case 580K new owner questions #4  
I know where you're coming from as I have an old 580K also. I've replaced on hydraulic hose that sprung a leak. Luckily my local auto parts store specializes on making hoses.
My tractor has been down for the past month due to a starting problem. It shut down in the middle of a job and I couldn't restart it. Yesterday I replaced the three fuel filters and found that they were empty of diesel fuel. I found that the fuel line from the tank to the first filter developed a leak that allowed twenty gallons of diesel to leak out. It's lucky that I wasn't parked near my well. That's five feet of 3/8 id. special hose at seven dollars a foot
Also the first fuel filter, non-spin on, had developed a crack. The replacement didn't fit until I did some hacksaw work.

I should have realized that I had fuel flow problems when the engine failed to produce smoke when I attempted to start it. Anyhow I managed to start it this morning.

You should be getting an operators, service and parts list manual. I managed to get the parts list in paper form but I had to get computer files for the other two manuals.

You'll need to search out the location of your case dealer as well as web dealers in Case parts. There's some good advice on the TBN forum also.

Bob: it has a 45* and slash cut. I managed to squeeze it into my barn by dropping the hoe.

ragkar: I asked for the manuals and the dealer had both operators and parts.

/ Case 580K new owner questions #6  
If you are storing it outside throw a coffee can over the exhaust pipe, wind driven rain will still find it's way around a 45. For long term storage I use a balloon over the pipe to seal it completely.

/ Case 580K new owner questions #7  
If you are storing it outside throw a coffee can over the exhaust pipe, wind driven rain will still find it's way around a 45. For long term storage I use a balloon over the pipe to seal it completely.

Excellent!:thumbsup: I agree completely.:D

BTW, used to do that when I was a kid; put ballons over car tailpipes. Took about 30 seconds to pop, then it was RAZZZZZZZZ!!

Is there a reputable aftermarket backhoe bucket vendor out there?
It had a 36" on it and I had them replace with a 24" but wouldn't mind having an 18" bucket for some stuff.

I found this one
and many used dealers.

Edit, found a good deal on a new one aftermarket. Waiting to hear back from vendor.

Last edited:
Mine is a phase 3. I think it is a '92.