10,000 lb trailer length question

/ 10,000 lb trailer length question #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
I'm wondering if a 16' beavertail trailer will work for me. It's flat for 14' and then has 2' of tapered floor for 16' total.
I haul my L4300 Kubota around in the summer and it usually has a 1000 lb 6' tiller or 1100 lb 6' Brillion seeder hooked to it. Weight is maybe 5500 lbs max and that's on a good day. There are a couple times a summer when I haul a 6500 lb Deere 5520 that has an 85" wheelbase and 14' over all length.
Because of the tapered 2' of the above beavertail I mention I wonder if the tractor weight will be centered over the axles correctly or will put too much weight on the tongue of the trailer? This would be especially true when I haul the bigger tractor. Will the weight be cenered?

I was looking for an 18 ft trailer but his popped up and is a deal good enough that I want to consider.

/ 10,000 lb trailer length question #2  
If you have a loader then to small, if no loader then just measure it to see if it will fit. The beaver tail shouldn't effect weight distribution, but the overall length could.
With that 1000 pounds on the back you should be ok if it fits in the 16 feet.

16 feet is small though and you will wish you got bigger in no time.

I've got a 20 footer cause it was to good of a deal to pass up, I thought it was way bigger than I needed, but now I realise 18 would of been to small for some of the configurations I'm moving.

JB

/ 10,000 lb trailer length question #3  
I would look for a longer one if you have a loader and want to keep and rear attachments on as well.

/ 10,000 lb trailer length question
Can tractor wheels sit down on the beavertail when hauling?

/ 10,000 lb trailer length question #5  
16' is too short, period. Especially when there is only 14' of usable length. You can't get the load centered properly. A lot of variables are involved in trailer loading including what you are pulling it with. Better safe than sorry.
I had a 18' tilt bed but found I couldn't get the weight transfer to the hitch correct when I had the backhoe attached. I solved the problem with a 20' 14,000 lb. PJ split-bed tilt. I never regretted spending the extra money.

PJ Trailers - 6" Channel Equipment Tilt (T6)

/ 10,000 lb trailer length question #7  
You also need enough deck length to get proper angles on your tie downs.

/ 10,000 lb trailer length question #8  
16' is too short, period. Especially when there is only 14' of usable length. You can't get the load centered properly. A lot of variables are involved in trailer loading including what you are pulling it with. Better safe than sorry.
I had a 18' tilt bed but found I couldn't get the weight transfer to the hitch correct when I had the backhoe attached. I solved the problem with a 20' 14,000 lb. PJ split-bed tilt. I never regretted spending the extra money.

PJ Trailers - 6" Channel Equipment Tilt (T6)

I've always liked the idea of no ramps, but I use mine a lot in snow. Do you ever load and unload in the snow and have any traction issues with a tilt bed?

/ 10,000 lb trailer length question #9  
Can tractor wheels sit down on the beavertail when hauling?

With the tiller or seeder you wouldn't be on the ramps with the wheels.

Do you have a loader?

No need for a beaver tail with a 4X4 utility tractor, but I think it might work if the whole package is not longer than 16 feet, with the heavy implement on the back the weight distribution might work. but would be tricky tying down the front as was mentioned by tcartwri above.

JB

/ 10,000 lb trailer length question
With the tiller or seeder you wouldn't be on the ramps with the wheels.

Do you have a loader?

No need for a beaver tail with a 4X4 utility tractor, but I think it might work if the whole package is not longer than 16 feet, with the heavy implement on the back the weight distribution might work. but would be tricky tying down the front as was mentioned by tcartwri above.

JB

No loader for this application, just a a Kubota L4300 for minor construction tillage and finish work. The 16' trailer is a great deal but that's because of the short length. Yeah, it would work for my basic use but I think if I put the bigger tractor on the weight might be too far forward and put too much weight on the tongue. The tie down thing doesn't bother me since it would have a dedicated purpose of small tractor, no loader and one impliment. I only haul maybe 10 miles one way.
Being price motivated, the $$ caught my eye for a quality trailer. Thank you for the wisdom here.