Mini Excavator Buying Advice

/ Mini Excavator Buying Advice #1  

EdupstateNY

Tractor
Kubota L2650, Ford NAA, AC 5040, Case 310G
I know this question gets asked a lot, but here goes. I am looking to buy a mini excavator and have narrowed down my options. I would like to keep the machine close to or under 6,000 lbs so that I can transport it between properties on a 8,000 lb equipment trailer with my 4WD F150. It will be used mostly for ditch, road and stream maintenance, some shallow foundation and drainage work. Dealer support and parts availablity are high on my list and limit my options. Based upon the above criteria I am considering the following machines: Gehl 223, Kubota KX41, Bobcat 323 and Case CX17B or their used equivalents. Would appreciate recommendations and advice on what to watch for in the used market.
Thanks, Ed

/ Mini Excavator Buying Advice #2  
IMHO, a 8,000 lb. GVW trailer is too light, should be 10,000 GVW minimum. What is the GCW rating of your F-150 (1/2 ton) pickup? I think that's too light also, 4x4 or not. Should be 3/4 ton minimum.

Last edited:
   / Mini Excavator Buying Advice #3  
I agree, you are pushing the limits with those numbers. I am assuming you are talking a bumper hitch trailer? If so, you should have a weight distributing hitch and, of course, a brake controller. If you are talking about a gooseneck trailer, they weigh more and your truck is way overloaded.

As for parts availability, if you know what you are doing, you can just have the parts shipped to you, that's cheaper than running 50 miles. Also, most dealers provide field support. Yes, it is not cheap, but it's cheaper than buying a trailer or new truck. If you are buying new, you hopefully won't need much maintenance. Maybe not for used either, it depends, of course...

Ken

/ Mini Excavator Buying Advice #4  
The used market is full of stuff guys bought during the housing boom and never had a clue as to how to operate/service a mini ex. From trashed rollers, sloppy drives... to ripped tracks that are filled with caulking and spray painted, I have looked at some real shameful machines. I have been on the lookout for a nice one for about six months and have come up empty here.

/ Mini Excavator Buying Advice
Guys, Thanks for advice, my F150, 5.4L, 4x4 Super Cab with tow package is rated for towing 8000 lbs loaded trailer weight. The equipment trailer weighs just a tad under 2,000 w/ elec brakes and all the machines I listed weigh between 3,636 and 4,447 adding a little for tie downs and fuel, etc. I think I can stay under 6,500 lb a loaded trailer weight range that I am comforable with.

I do all of my own maintenance and am comfortable with doing repair work - proximity to dealers is only related to parts availablity and friendly advice.

/ Mini Excavator Buying Advice #6  
I think the Japanese make most of the name brand mini excavators anyway, so pick a brand that has the nearest parts and service.
I got myself stuck with a Takeuchi TB016. I have already had to repair the ends of the hoses to the drive motors. The fittings rusted away.
I am not looking forward to disassembling the thing just to get to the swivel joint when I finally have to replace the hoses.
It only weighs 3500 pounds and I can tow it with a V8 Dodge Dakota without using my equalizer bars on a trailer that weighs about 2000 pounds.

/ Mini Excavator Buying Advice #7  
I agree, you are pushing the limits with those numbers. I am assuming you are talking a bumper hitch trailer? If so, you should have a weight distributing hitch and, of course, a brake controller. If you are talking about a gooseneck trailer, they weigh more and your truck is way overloaded.

As for parts availability, if you know what you are doing, you can just have the parts shipped to you, that's cheaper than running 50 miles. Also, most dealers provide field support. Yes, it is not cheap, but it's cheaper than buying a trailer or new truck. If you are buying new, you hopefully won't need much maintenance. Maybe not for used either, it depends, of course...

Ken

you should have a weight distributing hitch and, of course,

I can see why you need a weight Distributing with a camper or any trailer you cannot adjust your load forward or reward. But why would you need one if you could just move your hoe or tractor for proper balance and tounge weight.

/ Mini Excavator Buying Advice #8  
Guys, Thanks for advice, my F150, 5.4L, 4x4 Super Cab with tow package is rated for towing 8000 lbs loaded trailer weight. The equipment trailer weighs just a tad under 2,000 w/ elec brakes and all the machines I listed weigh between 3,636 and 4,447 adding a little for tie downs and fuel, etc. I think I can stay under 6,500 lb a loaded trailer weight range that I am comforable with.

I do all of my own maintenance and am comfortable with doing repair work - proximity to dealers is only related to parts availablity and friendly advice.

An F-150 is fine for that size machine.
I like Kubota the most out of the names you listed.
Truthfully, there aren't many "bad" mini excavators out there based on brand. A well maintained lesser known machine will be better than an abused well known brand. I would go with the one that you get the best deal on that meets your needs. That way you can save money for your first repair...I mean upgrade. :D

/ Mini Excavator Buying Advice #9  
What's your budget and we can really go to work. A nice mini ex that has not been beaten (as most people use them for breaker work and such) is really rare. You can find them you just have to look. Do you want a cab? All things to consider.

/ Mini Excavator Buying Advice #10  
I have rented the Komatsu many times and love the machines. Strong quiet and they run all day on a cup of fuel. Not too expensive either