Case 580c

/ Case 580c #1  

fredbear241

I gather the 580B is getting a little old now.
I just found a 580c at a lowish price, but I'm not sure if I should keep saving for a 580S or later.
Where the 580c's a bad bunch? or near indestructable?
How is the digging ability compared to later models?
How would it compare to a small (eg 4T-6T) tracked excavator? I have a driveway to put in (which will need a fair amount of digging to get down to the road level.), amongst other things like storm drains, and a backhoe seems to be the best compromise between an excavator on track, and a small dozer / or cat tracked bucket. I don't mind spending time doing the job slowly, but I don't want to be drilling 6" holes in concrete with a hand drill either, if you follow my meaning.

Thoughts apreciated.

/ Case 580c #2  
580C- built between 1976 and 1980, same basic motor as the 580B, roughly the same tractor with some upgrades, digging depth 14' 918' with extendahoe), a good Case backhoe.

/ Case 580c #3  
...What Will said....:) A 580C is a very good machine. I personally like them a lot, along with the 580D which is even better. It's a perfect machine for what you want to do. But, an excavator would get things done much faster, and if you have a lot of 'clearing' as far as brush and vegetation goes, it's easier. But, with a backhoe it can be done. A backhoe you have that machine and that machine only for two tasks, digging and hauling with the loader. If you take an excavator, you have to have something to help haul materials like dirt etc. If you have to do clearing and need a thumb, here's what my boss put on his extendahoe, 580B. See attachment. Anyway.....It's a little unclear to me though what exactly you need to do, how much room you have etc. Really, if you have a TON of digging, get an excavator, then when you're ready to haul, rent a wheel loader or whatever.

Blake
WA

/ Case 580c
Thanks for input. Lots of jobs to do (not much "clearing", mostly reprofiling, contouring, trench digging etc), but the main one is the driveway. Rough calc so far I've estimated I need to dig & move around 1000m3 (yep 1 x thousand m3) which is 1300cuyd (I think!) or roughly 2200 metric Tonnes - ie a bucket load - several actually :). I thought about a contractor for the drive, but they estimate it will be around A$50-70,000 to do (no fixed price is available - unless I'm willing to roughly double the price!). They indicated using a 20T - 30T excavator and approx 15-20 days. (excavator = $120/hr + truck to haul @ $50/hr + dozer to spread material @ $100/hr +rock breaker @ $50/hr if required) I'm thinking I could buy something, chip away at it (having fun of course) for 6-12mths, dig my stormwater, flatten out a round yard, then sell the "toy". Even if I only get around 1/2 of what I paid, I'd still be in front. FWIW the 580c is around $10K (ie real cheap). 580SLE's go for around A$50K-$70K. A JD450 is around the $35-45K mark A CAT 12T excavator is ~$80K (Our money is approx 1/2 US$ ie 1 US$ ~= 2A$)

Again thx, appreciate your input.

/ Case 580c #6  
No need to YELL. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Case 580c #7  
1300 cu yds =1300 -1800 tons
Loose dirt = 2000#/cu yd
Rammed dirt= 2700#/cu yd
Gravel = 2700#/cu yd
W/ my backhoe I've loaded trucks and usually keep 2 semi-dumps busy hauling.
I've dug loose w/ hoe and used the loader to load and also just used the hoe to load(3/4 yd bucket on hoe).
I've loaded up to 50 ton an hour before so I think that a larger hoe would take over 3 days to do the job.
Depending on how far u are hauling u could use 3 or 4 trucks to keep hoe busy.
Another way to look at time to dig out is say u are using 1 yd bucket on larger hoe and it takes 1 minute to load, dump and return to dig this equals 1300 minutes or 21+ hours.
Say it takes 2 minutes to load and dump bucket then 2600 minutes or 42+ hours.
So their time is way off at 3 to 4 weeks.
If u want a good backhoe try to find a 710B 0r C Deere (look at specs compared to 580) and the loader will dump over side of semi-trucks plus 3/4 yd hoe bucket.
IMHO heaviest and best built hoe for the money.
I call my 710 an excavator on wheels.

/ Case 580c #8  
Regardless of the brand issue, I agree with Hoeman's calculations. Sounds like the price you got was from someone who wasn't really interested in taking the job. Assuming the funds are available, I would definitely buy my own machine and do it myself. I too have more time than money and I get alot of satisfaction knowing that the end result is "just what I wanted".
I've been generally happy with my 580E and it's capabilities, but I know I made a mistake in not waiting to find a comparable 4WD version. Lot of red clay in my area, so everytime it rains, let the slipping and sliding begin. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Doesn't necessarily stop work, but it does tend to slow down production.
I too bought mine to do a couple of jobs and then I'll sell it! I keep turning up projects that a backhoe sure is handy for and it's already paid for and .......now I'm looking for a good used 4WD model to trade into. Just too handy not to keep it around.
And oh yeah, a 4n1 bucket w/quick attach plates, fork lift att. and quick attach hoe buckets, side shift hoe, cab w/heat and air. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Case 580c
I called about 15 companies, but could only get 4 to come out & take a look. (the rest said they would but never showed, even after return calls!). Of the 4 that did, 3 had similar prices. The guy that only had a 580, at least turned up, but said it was to big for him to take on & I should look at a getting someone with a bigger machine. I accept this, since he is doing it for a living. OTOH, I'm only doing it 'part tme'.
Re the calcs, 1300m3 ~= 2600metric Tonnes. Typical dump truck, hold 12T so that is around 210 truck loads....If each excavator bucket full is 400kg then that means 30 buckets / truck @ 2mins each = 60mins or 1hrs / truckload x 210 truckloads = 210hrs / 10hr day = 21 days. To fill the truck with a loader, rather than the hoe, might not be possible. I'm talking about a driveway width to work within.

If my calc is way off, please let me know! (or if you can suggest how to fill the truck with a loader on an 5-6m wide driveway !)
The turning / loading issue is one concern I have re buying an excavator vs a backhoe (even though I think the backhoe will be more suited to other jobs around the property.)
Thx for your input / insights

/ Case 580c #10  
I agree. I have just bought my first backhoe /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif, a IH 3414. I got it for 3500.00. I am learning as I operate it. I have changed how I am building, because I am the operator, so I now set the digging schedule /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. I also have a pond project planned. BTW I was able to use the front loader to lift my new Harley out of my pickup. Never know when a backhoe could come in handy /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif.