Looking at a 530 CK

/ Looking at a 530 CK #1  

MMH

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4500
I'm looking at a diesel 530 CK w/ loader & backhoe. Everything works, 6 cylinders have been recently repacked, brakes are weak (owner said thy have been recently replaced, but weak by design).

I will be using it for general excavation (moving a hill side back), 400' of 3'x5' french drain digging, etc. around my property. It will not be used commercially. I know that this machine is 50 years old, but I am pretty good at fixing things. I am a little concerned about the lack of 4x4, as where I will be using it is very wet, or, will the backhoe enable me to get unstuck.

Will this be a machine that will be able to get the job done, or, will I spend more time fixing than using? I don't have allot of money to spend so the low price ($4K) is a big motivator.

/ Looking at a 530 CK #2  
MMH said:
I'm looking at a diesel 530 CK w/ loader & backhoe. Everything works, 6 cylinders have been recently repacked, brakes are weak (owner said thy have been recently replaced, but weak by design).

I will be using it for general excavation (moving a hill side back), 400' of 3'x5' french drain digging, etc. around my property. It will not be used commercially. I know that this machine is 50 years old, but I am pretty good at fixing things. I am a little concerned about the lack of 4x4, as where I will be using it is very wet, or, will the backhoe enable me to get unstuck.

Will this be a machine that will be able to get the job done, or, will I spend more time fixing than using? I don't have allot of money to spend so the low price ($4K) is a big motivator.

$4k is unbeatable. I would say you could go lower though. It's 50 years old. The backhoe will be able to get you unstuck but can be time consuming to use the backhoe to crawl it through wet areas. Not only are these older machines going to have more problems but they are not as comfortable to use. Brakes as you say are very week. Don't plan to stop this thing going down a big hill. I've replaced the brakes on my 53 Farmall Cub but it's a 50 year old system. There are much better ways to stop it now. The controls in general now are much easier on the operator and a newer tractor will be nicer as you do get what you pay for but if you really want is a 4x4 TLB then your looking in the $15k range. They made the, in the 80s but were rare. I have one near me for 12.5k but if 4k is pushing it 3 times what you want to pay may be a little much.

Would you consider looking at a older compact? Can get them cheap but will have 4x4 for you and a lot of options to put on it and a 3ph. Just food for thought.

/ Looking at a 530 CK
...Would you consider looking at a older compact? Can get them cheap but will have 4x4 for you and a lot of options to put on it and a 3ph. Just food for thought.
I started off by looking for compacts w/ backhoes & Could not find anything that was under $10K. I have a B9200 that I love, but no backhoe. Also realized that for the amount of digging that i have to do, a little more weight would be good. A 530 CK w/ backhoe is close to 10,000 lbs. That's 250% more than an L frame.

/ Looking at a 530 CK #4  
MMH,

I saw your posts on Heavy Equipment Forum and thought, "He has something to ask" :laughing:...

I paid $3K for my 580B ('74 model), fair shape after some work. Worked on the shuttle (It would not move when I bought it, but knew what was wrong), replaced the brakes, have done several other minor repairs. Renting a good sized hoe cost me about $800 a weekend with delivery. If I rented one I could tow with my truck it was so too small to be effective... So I figure that I have made my money back already and can sell the machine for better than I paid for it, if I decide to do so after what I have done to it.

In reality, I think a backhoe is about the best therapy a guy can have.... :D I may just keep it to dig every other weekend or so....

Dave

/ Looking at a 530 CK
I paid $3K for my 580B ('74 model), fair shape after some work. Worked on the shuttle (It would not move when I bought it, but knew what was wrong), replaced the brakes, have...
WOW - that looks like a great price. Everything that I'm seeing is at least $4K to $5k and that is for machines out of the 60's. Do you think that if i hold out that I'll be able to get a deal as good as yours? BTW - I'm in western PA.

/ Looking at a 530 CK #6  
MMH - I am also from western PA (near Pittsburgh) and have been looking for a backhoe. It seems prices around here are higher than most. If a machine runs and can dig they seem to start around 4-5k. There are some good deals out there somewhere so keep looking.

/ Looking at a 530 CK #7  
WOW - that looks like a great price. Everything that I'm seeing is at least $4K to $5k and that is for machines out of the 60's. Do you think that if i hold out that I'll be able to get a deal as good as yours? BTW - I'm in western PA.

You can always hope. Don't forget to check backyards, etc. while out driving around. Hard to say what some people have lying around.

This one doesn't have any details, but it's worth a phone call.
1984 DEERE 415B Machines - Loader Backhoes For Sale At MachineryTrader.com

/ Looking at a 530 CK #8  
Check Craigslist also, and check other cities within reason of travel. I've bought two in the past two years, this time of year.

Weak brakes on the 530 are probably due to leaking seals, in the pinion shaft housing. Not a terrible bad job to replace, but you need to be extra careful installing the new seals, or you have the same thing...