Mini Ex Quick Attach Build

/ Mini Ex Quick Attach Build #1  

Jnasystems

Silver Member
Tractor
1986 Ford/NH 1520, 1950 Allis Chalmers WD, 2001 NH EC35 (track hoe)
Hello all,
I am thinking about building a quick hitch for my NH EC35 and have some questions about design and machining. First the design, the thought is to create a hook on the front and just pin the back, will this be strong enough to handle the stress? It will be all half inch steel and the tubes will have 5/8" walls. Here is my design:
image-2474005243.png
The next question is how to machine the tubes. I can't find the right size exactly, but I do have a lathe that should be fine for the job. I found new stock that will need 1/8" removed from the inside diameter for $65 and solid 3" bar for $12. Would it make sense to bore the 1-5/8" hole for the pins? Or would that just take forever? Here is the lathe I have - http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-x-39-Large-Combo-Lathe-Mill/G4791.

Thanks,
Joe

/ Mini Ex Quick Attach Build #2  
Joe, I certainly don't want to tell you not to build this, but, it may be cheaper and easier to buy one. The r&d has already been done by the manufacturer and everything will fit up correctly and won't bend or break. Do a search in Google for "mini excavator couplers" or for "mini excavator attachments" there are tons of aftermarket companies that make couplers for that size machine that are very reasonably priced.

/ Mini Ex Quick Attach Build #3  
Tags might be right, however quick couplers for small hoes are difficult to find. Your design looks very similar to my larger excavator couplers though. I had one custom build by a company called AIM for an unusual applilcation. They were very helpful and it fit perfect and worked perfect. Mine was hydraulic though. You flip a switch in the cab to latch and unlatch it.

/ Mini Ex Quick Attach Build
I got a couple buckets from aim and I was very impressed with them, so when I started thinking about a quick attach they were the first (and last when I heard their price) call. It was several thousand dollars, but it was hydraulic operated. I just want something simple and I have all the equipment, time and desire to build one - now I just need to figure out the details. When this build is said and done, I will have about $100 in it if what I think will work does.

/ Mini Ex Quick Attach Build #5  
I got a couple buckets from aim and I was very impressed with them, so when I started thinking about a quick attach they were the first (and last when I heard their price) call. It was several thousand dollars, but it was hydraulic operated. I just want something simple and I have all the equipment, time and desire to build one - now I just need to figure out the details. When this build is said and done, I will have about $100 in it if what I think will work does.

Yeah I think mine was $6000. It was worth every penny for my business though. My employees were more likely to use the correct bucket for the job because is was so quick and simple.

Well, I did more searching and found several, but none were anywhere near what I would consider reasonably priced. Here is the cheapest I could find
http://www.(Temporarily blocked due...er-for-4-5-Ton-p/am-q2-1-4-5ton-minihitch.htm
and at 10x my cost I figure I can spend some time on it. If I could find one for under $500 I would consider it, but this is just for use around the house so I won't be making any money with it and I spent less than $15k on the mini in the first place. Just can't justify the cost.

I think I do feel more comfortable about the design though. The one listed above seems far lighter than what I have planned, so I won't worry about that any more. I am going to make a foam model of it this weekend. I will use it to fine tune the design before I commit it to steel. I will take pictures of the model and post them here.

Thanks,
Joe

/ Mini Ex Quick Attach Build #7  
I give you alot of credit for building your own. Looking forward to following your build, remember lots O' pics please....

Here is a picture of the templates on a piece of wood to build a model of it to put on the excavator and check fit. I made some changes from the design above because of fit issues with paper cutouts.

Attachments

• image-3419993998.png
    image-3419993998.png
    828.3 KB · Views: 529
   / Mini Ex Quick Attach Build #9  
I saw this thread and decided I wanted to build one too. But then some questions came to mind...

1. With this device you pull one pin to change buckets, why not just convert the two original pivot pins to quick pins and just have to remove two pins to change buckets?

2. This device changes the pivot point of the bucket, does it reduce curling power of the BH? Because it effectively lengthened the mount/bucket.

Gene :^)

/ Mini Ex Quick Attach Build #10  
I saw this thread and decided I wanted to build one too. But then some questions came to mind...
1. With this device you pull one pin to change buckets, why not just convert the two original pivot pins to quick pins and just have to remove two pins to change buckets?
With the hook on one side, you can pick the bucket up, then put the pin with the bucket nice and lined up. With the 2 pin method, the both have to line up at the same time with the bucket on the ground.

2. This device changes the pivot point of the bucket, does it reduce curling power of the BH? Because it effectively lengthened the mount/bucket
Yes, but probbaly not by much.

Aaron Z