Air Compressor, which one?

/ Air Compressor, which one? #1  

TeamNH

Bronze Member
Tractor
New Holland TC34DA
:confused:

I hope this is the right spot to put this.

I put together bee boxes and the frames that go in them. I use a 18g nailer/stapler for the frames and I am looking to get a 16g or 15g nailer for the boxes.

I put roughly 500 boxes and 5000 frame together during a season. Each box takes about 40 nails and each frame 6 staples. Thats 20,000 nails and 30,000 staples a season.

I need to get a new air compressor and I am so lost after looking them all over. I am looking at a 20 gallon up right by IR, but for $100 more I could get their 60 gallon. I was on lowes website and they have a Hitachi 6 gallon with 15g nailer and an 18g nailer for $300. That seems like a good deal but I dunno if it will keep up.

I am looking for a compressor that will keep up, be quite and be able to do other functions in the future. Any idea's?

Thanks.:thumbsup:

/ Air Compressor, which one? #2  
Get a belt drive for being quiet.
A couple years ago I needed more air and bought a Sears 25 gallon horizontal. I saw some great buys on verticals but wasn't ready to have this compressor stuck in one place. Some of the bad reviews are people who have electrical supply problems. I'm an electrician and mine has never tripped a 20 amp breaker. And my wiring to my garage is far from ideal.

/ Air Compressor, which one? #3  
I too have the Sears/Binks 25 gallon horizontal and it works fine for low cfm tasks like nailing. Heck my 4 gallon pancake worked fine for nailing but it was noisy. The belt driven with oil based cylinders is much quieter than the oil-less. I am on a 20 amp beaker, no GFI with 12 guage wire feeding the outlets.

/ Air Compressor, which one? #4  
First figure out how CFM you will require and go from there.:)

/ Air Compressor, which one?
Thanks for the reply's so far.

I purchased the Hitichi kit. But its going back. The nail guns feel cheap and have plastic parts holding the nails you are shooting. They didnt do a bad job but I dont think they will lasting. Its probably good for a DIY person or light use contractor.

The compressor is not bad, 2 outlets on it and refills quickly. 2.8 CFM @ 90psi is the output. It did good but refilled thru 1.5 boxes so about 65 nails. It would be a great compressor for trim work and light use but my constant non stop nailing... I think it would not keep up with me when I really get going. I going to take it back along with the guns.

I also purchased a Bostich nailer. I have not tried it yet but I think I will like it. Far less plastic on it.

So I am back to the start but I know that I need more then 2.8 cfm. I also know I am going to need more then the 6 gallon tank.

Thanks for the input and anymore that rolls in.:thumbsup: