Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Heres what I drug home yesterday:thumbsup:

Attachments

• 5500.jpeg
    5500.jpeg
    715.9 KB · Views: 769
   / Now "I" Went and done it: Got me an old Hoe
She's a Ford 5500. Quite a large machine.

Engine runs really well. It's a 1967. Backhoe is gonna need some attention. Pins and bushings are a little sloppy. And she has a few leaks here and there. But is otherwise in pretty good shape.

I kinda already knew what I was getting into with the pins/bushings. Dad just got a 4500 and last year we did the same thing. Rebuilt the BH pins and bushings, fixed some leakes, welded some cracks, etc.

Here is what his before and after looked like: and I hope to make this one just as tight and pretty someday:

Attachments

• 4500a.jpg
    4500a.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 376
  • 4500b.jpg
    4500b.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 357
  • 4500c.jpg
    4500c.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 355
  • 4500d.jpg
    4500d.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 492
   / Now "I" Went and done it: Got me an old Hoe #3  
You just couldn't think of anything better to spend money on? :p. Should be nice once you finish, hobby projects can be lots of fun. I found an old Oliver crawler loader I'm trying to talk myself out of.

/ Now "I" Went and done it: Got me an old Hoe #4  
Nice looking already once you tighten it up and paint etc it will be in great shape for sucha an old machine..

I found an old Oliver crawler loader I'm trying to talk myself out of.

DONT DO IT. That is Dont talk yourself out of it.:D Just go buy the darn thing. Its only money and we cant take it with us right:laughing:

/ Now "I" Went and done it: Got me an old Hoe #6  
congrats ....now where do you live neighbor....lol:laughing:

/ Now "I" Went and done it: Got me an old Hoe #7  
Congrats on picking up that solid looking machine! Will be interested in hearing more about the bushings and pins rebuild within the backhoe.

congrats ....now where do you live neighbor....lol:laughing:

Probabally a bit too far. I dont have a trailer to move it.....yet. I bought it ~16 miles from home and just drove it here. ~1hr.

So to get to SW ohio from where I live (~30miles N of columbus), would probabally take a day and a half:laughing:

Congrats on picking up that solid looking machine! Will be interested in hearing more about the bushings and pins rebuild within the backhoe.

The main ones I need to address first off are the swing pins. There is about 3ft of slop with a fully extended hoe. And the other bad ones are the controll levers. With the dipper lever pulled all the way back and the raise all the way forward, there is about 14" between the handles:confused2: Kinda makes it hard to operate both of them with one hand:confused2:

The rest of the pins and bushings arent nearly as bad, but do have some play.

/ Now "I" Went and done it: Got me an old Hoe #9  
DONT DO IT. That is Dont talk yourself out of it.:D Just go buy the darn thing. Its only money and we cant take it with us right:laughing:

It's not the purchase price I'm scared of. It's the hours of picking, cleaning, sanding, cleaning and searching for the holy grail of oddball parts. Recreating missing parts from someone else's pictures. Cleaning, sanding, painting, replumb the hydraulics, electrical nightmares. Did I mention the gauges are intact and it has a 3 point hitch? :)

A little update.....

Got all the controls tore appart. WAY too much slop. Lots of pivot points (6 on each lever to be exact) and a little in each adds up.

So I am rebuilding everything. Making most of the parts so cost is minimal.

There are a total of 16 bronze bushings that were all wore out. Pretty simple. 1/2" ID, 5/8"OD and 1/2" long. I really couldnt believe CNH thinks these are worth $10.74 EACH (according to messicks website):confused2:

Same oilite bushing at mcmaster carr.......................$0.88/ea. THATS more like it:thumbsup: