Best Steel for Backhoe Pins/Bushings

/ Best Steel for Backhoe Pins/Bushings #21  
If you're gonna machine/thread/drill then you'd wanna have them soft anyway, then harden afterwards

the 1045 material is the same as hyd rods so getting old pieces never breaks the bank....if it's already hardenened then you'll have fun cutting with ordinary tools...heat up area red then letting cool works

the 1045 rods are hardened and unhardened.....I like the hardened stuff for the pins for wear reasons

not sure what they harden up to...don't have the tester for that

/ Best Steel for Backhoe Pins/Bushings #22  
I'm thinking to make new pins for my CTL's loader arms and bucket out of chromed hydr cyl rod .
What would you guys take be on that?

/ Best Steel for Backhoe Pins/Bushings
I'm thinking to make new pins for my CTL's loader arms and bucket out of chromed hydr cyl rod .
What would you guys take be on that?

I am probabally not the best one to ask, since I am the one who asked in this thread:laughing:

But....I here that suggested pretty often. But for my BH, I just went with pre-hardened 4140. IF you can get the cylinder rod in the right size and only need to cut it to length, you are probabally okay. But if you have to drill holes though it for retaining bolts or whatever....some of it can be tough. I think there are two kinds of rods. The regular chrome....which can be drilled easially when the chrome is ground off in that spot, and then theres the induction hardened kind. And that stuff is still ~50Rc in the core.

But for my BH, since pins are MUCH easier to replace and make, I didnt want a super hard pin with a soft bushing. If my origional bushings were okay, I may have used chrome rod though. Because the origional bushings were Rc 60

/ Best Steel for Backhoe Pins/Bushings #24  
I bought an old Massey 30 Industrial loader backhoe as a hobby tractor. The loader was a little loose. After changing a couple of bushings with great difficulty, I developed another plan. The worn bushings were worn oblong. With a calliper I measured the largest diameter. Then I turned a 4140 pin slightly under that size. Then I used a Milwaukee electric die grinder and 1" flapper wheels to take bushing material out of the bushing small diameter until the pin fit. Maybe unconventional but the loader is tight. I added some grease zerks where there were none. It will last longer than I will at 62 on my little timber lot.

/ Best Steel for Backhoe Pins/Bushings #25  
1018 = Rockwell B71
1144 = Rockwell B95
12L14= Rockwell B84

4140 either pre-heat treated or soft is usually sold for high strength shafts, either hot rolled or ground and polished. I wouldn't use it for pins.

Pins in buckets and booms and the like are not a high strength application. They provide a connection and a pivot point, that's all. I frankly don't know if I've ever seen a pin in that application sheared, even when they were worn all to heck.

Just say'in
RH,
My rememory don't work like it used to, But my recollection of 12L14 is that its a leaded steel, (very soft), that's what the L stands for. I used to run it in a screw machine. that's what was recommended and it worked great. Its (not) somthing that I would use for high pressure pin material.
Ill also give you my opinion about using 4140. It machined alright, But youll sweat it if you try taping it. maybe 2 degrees and then back up,.. And 1/2 that was the tap twisting,..:(PITA. I could be wrong but that's what I remember.

/ Best Steel for Backhoe Pins/Bushings #26  
Here's my $.02 worth:

Cylinder rod stock in 1045 or 1050 makes great pins for most applications. It is:
Weldable if you need to weld a head on it
Considerably tougher than plain 1020 round bar,
Very accurately sized, which is important for some things,
Very, very smooth, which gar-max graphite bushings demand but all bushings like.
Pretty cheap and very easy to find. Most shops that repair cylinders have bent rods that you can cut up into pins. Most steel suppliers carry it.
The chrome plating stalls off rust for a year or two.

Ag loaders and industrial loaders/backhoes are a lot different. Lots of ag loaders are horribly underdesigned, have tiny pins and sometimes not even replaceable wear bushings. Improving them is like hot-rodding a flathead v8--anything you change will probably be a big improvement.

If you are reworking something and the pins you're taking out are really hard, be very cautious about replacing them with softer/weaker stuff. If the manufacturer popped that kind of money, it usually indicates that cheaper stuff didn't work, and it was too late to redesign it. Fancy heat-treated alloy steels used as pin are usually a crutch for a poor design. There are valid reasons to use high-strength, expensive materials, but most of them exist only on airplanes or race cars.

Replaceable wear bushings are great. Connex or Vogelsang spring-steel bushings are probably the easiest to use--they drive in with normal tools, and are cheap. They do require grease.
Gar-Max filament-wound graphite bushings are amazing, and do NOT require grease. They DO require very accurate bores and very smooth pins, and they don't like hammering impact loads.
No wear bushings at all is cheap to manufacture. It has no other advantages.

If the pin is "full-floating", where it's free to turn in all of its holes, retaining it is simple--cotter pins, roll pins, snap rings, or bolts and nuts all work fine.

If the pin is designed to be anchored down so it doesn't turn, be careful about how you do that--look at some current Deere and Cat heavy equipment to see how they keep the pin from rotating or working out, but still allow it to wiggle around when the pin flexes. They don't (very often) just stick a bolt through the pin head anymore. If you are seeing pin heads sheared off, retaining bolts breaking or constantly working loose, or previously-applied field fixes where the pin head is welded down, you're probably looking at an underdesigned pin joint where the pin or the surrounding structure is flexing a lot, or where the lubrication is breaking down and the pin is seizing in its bushing and turning. When the loader boom is grabbing the pin and trying to turn it, you aren't going to stop it with a 5/16 bolt. Sometimes, when those problems are chronic, it improves things to just give up and let the pin float. Yes, it will eventually wear out the holes in the frame, but that's often preferable to the pins falling out.

/ Best Steel for Backhoe Pins/Bushings #27  
Welcome to TBN Jdeng:welcome:

/ Best Steel for Backhoe Pins/Bushings #28  
Just a thanks for a good set of advice on pins for equipment from several years ago. I'm tooling up to do some work on my JCB backhoe. Bucket pins and bosses are just plain worn out. Bushings in the boom look pretty bad as well. You gave a good wrap-up of a long thread. Much better to have pins SOFTER than the bushings. Pins are much easier to replace and the shear stress on them is usually well within the boundaries of 1000 series steels.

As you said, just about anything will be an improvement from the point of considerable wear and most Ag applications.

Any recommendation on a source for bushings?