Pettibone Speed Swing

/ Pettibone Speed Swing #1  
Tractor
a twaktur
I noticed this machine sitting in the same place for several years. It was used on a nearby railroad. Recently, I got some ID #'s off of it and sent it to the RR company to see if they still own it or not.

Had no idea that these Speed Swings had several attachments.

I'd rather have a Cummins than a Detroit, but that's what it came with.

Trying to find out who the owner is and if I could purchase it.

Has anyone on here ever used a Speed Swing like this one? I think it was made in the 1970's, but not certain. Has four wheel drive and four wheel steering. The boom rotates 180 degrees left and right on a horizontal plane.

Would like to know what the rear mounting holes are for.

Thanks

Attachments

• Speed Swing #1.jpg
    Speed Swing #1.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 475
  • Speed Swing #2.jpg
    Speed Swing #2.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 589
  • Speed Swing #3.jpg
    Speed Swing #3.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 357
   / Pettibone Speed Swing #3  
I think they are just to pick it up. I had a Tonka one of these about 50 years ago. It is still up in the barn. They all had screaming jimmys on them.

/ Pettibone Speed Swing #5  
The one I have seen on the RR where I worked had a HUGE bucket for the front and it moved huge amounts of snow.They also used the bucket for stone when doing track repair.It looks like a grapple on the front boom that was used to pick up rail etc a very powerful machine

/ Pettibone Speed Swing #6  
I worked for a RR contractor some years back now, but those pettibones had some *** to them! One would drive backwards and remove the rail, the other would drive forwards and place the new rail. very cool watching a good operator!

/ Pettibone Speed Swing
I worked for a RR contractor some years back now, but those pettibones had some *** to them! One would drive backwards and remove the rail, the other would drive forwards and place the new rail. very cool watching a good operator!

Would like to have seen that myself. It's possible that I saw them while spending time along the rails as a kid, but wouldn't have known what they were for. Do you recall ever seeing very many of the other attachments? I'd like to know what some of the other attachments were besides the regular bucket and forks. Think I saw a pic somewhere of a SS that had some type of snow blower on it, but I could be mistaken.

Last edited:
   / Pettibone Speed Swing
The one I have seen on the RR where I worked had a HUGE bucket for the front and it moved huge amounts of snow.They also used the bucket for stone when doing track repair.It looks like a grapple on the front boom that was used to pick up rail etc a very powerful machine

I wonder if there was ever a Speed Swing with a brush cutter attachment on the end? They sure look like a very useful machine.

/ Pettibone Speed Swing #9  
Yes there was a snow blower attachment and a sweep broom also I have seen both in use.
They took the snowblower attachment away from Niagara Falls Yard about a year ago.
Here is a video of how well built they are. The driver was not badly hurt
LiveLeak.com - Train crash accident
Hope it opens

/ Pettibone Speed Swing
Yes there was a snow blower attachment and a sweep broom also I have seen both in use.
They took the snowblower attachment away from Niagara Falls Yard about a year ago.
Here is a video of how well built they are. The driver was not badly hurt
LiveLeak.com - Train crash accident
Hope it opens

Thanks for that info and the link as well. After watching that video, WOW. Some folks might not realize the amount of force and impact it took to scoot the SS that far, regardless of the snow and/or ice. Glad nobody was hurt. That tractor trailer rig appeared to be parked almost too close to the rail, but the camera angle might be misleading.

Thanks