Cat 262 skid steer

/ Cat 262 skid steer #1  

lutt

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota ZG 22, John Deere 4200 4wd/ 420 loader, 4 wd,08 polaris 700 ranger crew
Any thoughts on a Cat 262 skid steer, good,bad, I was wanting one to run a root grapple to clean up after getting my timber cut, with a few other lot cleaning jobs of brush,etc. Does not have to be a cat,but I have come across one that has cab,heat, and air for what seems to be a good deal. Any input appreciated. Thanks LUTT

/ Cat 262 skid steer #2  
I have a Cat 246 and I think the main difference with it and the 262 is vertical lift. My 246 has been a good machine. It only has 500 hours and the only thing I would really want to change is the tires for tracks

/ Cat 262 skid steer
I was thinking maybe steel tracks to put over the tires later on, I have also thought about a tracked machine, but was afraid the rubber tracks wouldnt hold up in the rocks.
LUTT

/ Cat 262 skid steer
That is good to know, this machine in paticular has 1200 hrs on it. What do you use your machine for mostly?

/ Cat 262 skid steer #5  
the main pitfall of the 262 is the outdrive seals suck and alow water in if submerged very easly.....he big issue with over the tire tracks is the wear that it puts on the drive chains.... if you carry a load on your bucket or forks, your front tires squish and effectivly loose diameter...... with no tracks the rear tires will slip a little and not bind the drive chains.....with over the wheel tracks, when the load is placed on the front end the rear tires cand slip because they are locked together byt the tracks and it is **** on chains....... (like 1000 hours on something that should last 5000)

/ Cat 262 skid steer #6  
The 262 is a nice machine. I have operated multiple different brands of skid steers and compact track loaders and personally prefer Deere machines which is why I ended up with a Deere 317 skid steer. However on my list Cat was #3, right bellow Bobcat. This is all my personal preference, what I like about my Deere is how easy it is to get to the engine, maintenance is very easy as well and parts are very easy to get through Deere. My 317 also was available with 3 different controls, Hand/foot, Case all hand controls, and in later years it was electronic all hand controls much like a Caterpillar. My 317 has the Case style controls which IMO let you have more control of how you drive vs. Caterpillar style controls. I got my Deere for a great price too, in my area it was significantly less than a smaller Caterpillar machine. Hope this helps! :thumbsup:

/ Cat 262 skid steer #7  
I run a 272c with tracks and rubber filled tires. It is one heavy machine this way, but I can do a lot of work with it compared to no tracks. The drive chains may wear a little sooner, though I don't think so, but they are way way way cheaper to replace than dedicated tracks.

/ Cat 262 skid steer
Thanks for the replys,all opinions/input is appreciated. LUTT