Ford 555 TLB

/ Ford 555 TLB #21  
The "sticky substance" he referred to is probably bugs, which means a thorough fuel system cleaning and subsequent dosing with a biocide. Nobody says you have to take my advice though.
Unless this is some type of hybrid fuel system there is no "metering valve". The individual barrels and plungers meter the amount of fuel supplied to the injectors, and their rotational movement is controlled by the rack from the governor. The pumping action is supplied by the camshaft inside the pump/governor assembly which is driven by the accessory drive gears off of the front of the crankshaft.

/ Ford 555 TLB #23  
a good command I have.. sometimes it doesn't make it out in print with this small machine I type on though.. ;)

/ Ford 555 TLB
The "sticky substance" he referred to is probably bugs, which means a thorough fuel system cleaning and subsequent dosing with a biocide. Nobody says you have to take my advice though.
Unless this is some type of hybrid fuel system there is no "metering valve". The individual barrels and plungers meter the amount of fuel supplied to the injectors, and their rotational movement is controlled by the rack from the governor. The pumping action is supplied by the camshaft inside the pump/governor assembly which is driven by the accessory drive gears off of the front of the crankshaft.

Like I said, I'm new to diesel stuff.....the shop manual shows a cut-away picture of the pump identifying a metering valve, and mentions in the text "A sticking metering valve will usually stick in the shut off position preventing the engine from starting". Anyway, tomorrow I'm going to tear into the pump and clean whatever I can get to with the pump on the engine.

Cleaning and biocide...will do!
Thanks

/ Ford 555 TLB #25  
Like I said, I'm new to diesel stuff.....the shop manual shows a cut-away picture of the pump identifying a metering valve, and mentions in the text "A sticking metering valve will usually stick in the shut off position preventing the engine from starting". Anyway, tomorrow I'm going to tear into the pump and clean whatever I can get to with the pump on the engine.

Cleaning and biocide...will do!
Thanks

If what they are referring to as a metering valve is actually a barrel and plunger assembly, then I understand. There will be one for every injector. A word of caution here: I would not remove them from the pump body assembly or loosen the locknuts because they are timed, calibrated and set up on a test bench. If you know a diesel mechanic, he/she can help you.
I would sure like to see a pic of that "metering valve" if possible. I think there is an error in a translation.
Another thing to keep in mind: ULSD fuel has a lot less sulfur in it, and sulfur did at least two good things; it acted as a lubricant for the lap-fit barrels and plungers, and it helped arrest the growth of "diesel bugs". So the less sulfur there is in the fuel, the more likely you are in encountering them.

/ Ford 555 TLB
What Ford is calling a metering valve is connected to the throttle & governor. Not the same as the timed barrel valves. If I had a way to copy and post the pictures I would.

I found a second (better) illustration showing the metering valve. I'll try to describe it...
The throttle lever attaches to a post or stud.
That stud attaches to a horizontal bar.
The governor linkage and spring attach to that bar.
The horizontal bar attaches to the metering valve.
The throttle opens and closes the metering valve. It looks to me like the regulator valve allows fuel to be pumped from the transfer pump into the main body of the injector pump, and the metering valve regulates how much fuel enters the barrel valves you mentioned.

/ Ford 555 TLB
   / Ford 555 TLB #29  
If I had a way to copy and post the pictures I would.

you can link to external pics already hosted on the internet with a valid url, or you can imbed pics inline in a post. it's under 'manage attachments' under advanced options. has been there for a long time.. etc.

/ Ford 555 TLB #30  
Okay, it's a rotary swash-plate style pump.